Combines combine tires

TwinRotor

We have Goodyear Dyna-Torque's on our 4420 that have been great. They were new when we bought the combine 12 years ago and they are just now showing signs of wear on just the lugs themselves. When we,re shelling corn there stomping the outside rows too.

Redhotnrolli_n

I would doubt seriously if there is any tire made to resist stalk damage. A new tire is the most suseptible to this kind of damage. Reason is they tell me, an older tire has tougher outer skin than a new one, because of having weathered and hardened thru the years, but that's not a total cure either. Stalks will eat 'em up sooner or later. I've used May-Wes Stalk Stompers for 15 years, and yes they are very effective. They operate within a range of head height depending on how high or low the snoots are adjusted on the head. Poly skid shoes are also available if you want to line the bottoms of them. I use a 900 series head myself, and the attachment is very easy with no holes to drill. Just two 15_16 wrenches. A few acres will have them paid off in tire savings, and it's all free after that.

engfarmer

What Firestone tires did your neighbor buy, the Traction Field and Road or the Super All Traction 23 and what sizeIJ Where are you noticing the damage, on the sidewall, on the bars, or in between the barsIJ Dad and I put a set of 24.5-32 10PR SAT 23 on our 1640 this year and I have not noticed any scoring or gouging. To be fair we didnt plant any varieties of Bt corn so we havent fully abused the tire, but this year the stalks are still hard in north central Ohio. Here are a couple things to remember about all tires. As any tire ages the rubber compounds get harder so the tire is more resilient to cuts. All Firestone tires have a lot of extra rubber in the tread area and sidewall to provide more protection. So if your neighbors tires are only seeing surface scoring he shouldnt need to worry about the tires performance.

dieselade

so,,,,if we are talking about getting harder as the tire ages, should we buy new tires (if we can wait that long) just after harvest so they can set and get hard during the off seasonIJ

engfarmer

dieselade, If you can wait until after harvest I would. I would also suggest doing this for any new tractor tire purchases also. letting the tires set a couple of months will allow them to harden, but remember it takes more then 6 months for the rubber to reach its hardest levels.