Combines corn header

boog

We made a plate out of flat steel to bolt between two of the row units at the bottom. We did this on 2 sets of rows then hooked a chain around the flat steel and attached to the corners of our loader bucket and picked to corn head up from the front and rotated it up. The loader wasn't strong enough to lift the c.h. completely off the ground but was able to stand it up. Sure beats working on it laying on your back or sitting underneath and dirt falling on you.

boog

We made a plate out of flat steel to bolt between two of the row units at the bottom. We did this on 2 sets of rows then hooked a chain around the flat steel and attached to the corners of our loader bucket and picked to corn head up from the front and rotated it up. The loader wasn't strong enough to lift the c.h. completely off the ground but was able to stand it up. Sure beats working on it laying on your back or sitting underneath and dirt falling on you.

dave_morgan

We found a shipping cradle for a corn head to set ours up with, balanced, chained to cradle makes it safe. angle irons between the center rows secured with 3_8 bolts and washers...best to take snoots off first, not as big a job as I use to think it was. The shipping cradle keeps the rear of the corn head protected while tipping it up. 580 Sl backhoe will pick up a 963, but it has all it wants...we usually use the backhoe instead of the loader and back where we need to go, usually load the front bucket with gravel first.

little_al

Thanks for the info. I rolled my A-frame out of the shop and picked it up with a come-along. Slow but it did the job. Alot easier to work on now.

iaremec

slipclutches was changed from concave and convex washers to springs ,everything else is internal fixes. they had some soft gears and tapered sides against a snap ring. all gearboxes was tore down by ih as a whole unit exchange . if it has the springs on the slipclutch on each row unit.it is probably done.about 1984.update. alum. rolls against steel knives, not a good idea. can put teflon sheet from parts to isolate.from each other. also gathering chain tightener needs to be loosened up to slide before each season. new snapping rolls are steel.

little_al

Thanks for the info on header. My header is a 1984 model. someone said that the gearboxes were alum. at one time. I do have springs on slipclutch on each roll. and alum. snapping rolls. What about this teflon sheet were does it go and how thick is it. I'm overhauling my head with new parts;sprockets,chains,knives,bushings,etc. is there anything aftermarket wise that can get to improve my header. thanks al

iaremec

all 900's were aluminum gearboxes. the teflon sheet goes between the aluminum snapping roll shaft and the knife. personally i would bite the bullet and update to the 1000 series snapping roll kit about 550 a row but has everything in it. the 900 will be a 1000 with greaseless bearings. the shafts in these will be steel. and don't worrry about alum. shafts breaking or corroding..

Anteater6788

We changed our 963 over to the pto style shaft to work on our field tracker. We just cut the hex shaft back to the right length and ground a groove in one side for the PTO shaft to lock onto.

little_al

When you say pto style,what did it come off of. Is it telescoping or what. This sounds like it may work for me.Can you give more details.

Anteater6788

Our's came off an 820 head. It is just a short telescoping shaft with a U joint at each end with a spring loaded pin to lock it onto the hex shaft at each end. I don't know if the driveshafts are available from anywhere besides CIH but if you can find them somewhere else you will save alot of money. Any head set up for a field tracker will have the flexible telescoping shaft with the U-joint ends.