Country vs. city

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
Country life versus city life - what do you love or miss about each one? When I lived in a large city up north, we had expensive taxes and it was noisy, but boy do I miss the city water and sewer that I had back then. I love living out in the country in Florida, but I'm not fond of septic tanks and well water.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
You're not fond of well water? Wow, you're the first person I've run into who doesn't praise the stuff. Everyone else thinks it's just fabulous and full of the best trace minerals and none of the fluoride that some wish to avoid. I have both city and well water. I can't say that I've ever lived in a rural area though.

Katie

Katie

Farm Hand
One thing that I miss about deep rural living is just having some privacy. No one could see my house to know anything, so there was no room for gossip. People were friendly without being nosy. Living far apart facilitated that.

Ecohugger

Ecohugger

Farm Hand
When this pandemic happened, I realized how barely I stayed at home since there was always something to do living in the city. I chose to stay in the countryside to work from there because it's less stressful there. I wouldn't have handled the isolation, staying in the city with everything that's happening.

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
@Digger, we left a medium-sized city for rural living, and the only thing that I miss is having a reliable trash service. Here you have to burn your trash, compost it, or carry it off to the dump.

I'm with you, @Ecohugger. No way could I have handled riding out the pandemic in the city. Our kids have plenty of space to roam and play without having to worry about coming into contact with the virus. We have plenty of food without needing to run to the store.

Ecohugger

Ecohugger

Farm Hand
Our kids have plenty of space to roam and play without having to worry about coming into contact with the virus. We have plenty of food without needing to run to the store.
I'm glad to hear this. The kids are another concern for sure because their well-being can also be affected by their physical activities. When you're in the city, there would be very minimal interaction. It's incomparable to the community feeling that you can experience from the countryside.