Cucumbers

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
What type of cucumber do you plant? Do you plant more than one type? If you harvest too many cukes, how do you preserve them to eat later?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
If you harvest too many cukes, how do you preserve them to eat later?
Seriously? Pickles! Okay, so that's just my favorite use of all those extra cukes. You can actually do a lot with cucumbers. You can make sweet cucumber relish. You could also dry them out to make cucumber chips.

I plant a variety called the Boston Pickling cucumber. It's a prolific plant that is resistant to scab and the cucumber mosaic virus. It's also an heirloom plant, so I save the seeds from my strongest plants to use for next year's harvest.

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
What type of cucumber do you plant? Do you plant more than one type? If you harvest too many cukes, how do you preserve them to eat later?
Maybe I will not be helpful but I have been planting cucumbers without make distinctions among different species (maybe I only use one type of them).

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
Maybe I will not be helpful but I have been planting cucumbers without make distinctions among different species (maybe I only use one type of them).
Yeah, I don't think the variety matters that much either, unless @Mayfield is planning to save the seeds. Cucumbers are easy to grow, and the most common varieties aren't wildly different. How are your cucumbers coming along so far, vincenzosassone?

ChickensAndCows

ChickensAndCows

Farm Hand
I like to make pickles with the left over cucumbers that I harvest. I also enjoy eating them raw. They don't freeze well, sadly, so pickles tend to be the best route for my family.

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
Yeah, I don't think the variety matters that much either, unless @Mayfield is planning to save the seeds. Cucumbers are easy to grow, and the most common varieties aren't wildly different.
Of course, if he/she is planning to do it everything change, you know, I'm not used to do it since this isn't my job and I do it as a hobby. In other words, I like to grow food by myself.
How are your cucumbers coming along so far, vincenzosassone?
They're ok, I must say that my cucumbers are doing well. Being in the North hemisphere we are very close to se the beginning of summer, and even though my cucumbers don't have fruit yet, this is normal in this period. The plant is growing well anyway. Thank for the interest, how about you?

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Generally, there are two types - slicing cucumbers and pickling cucumbers. I planted some of each because I like eating them in salads and on sandwiches and my kids love pickles. Sadly, all of my cucumber plants were destroyed by a pest while I was away from home. I might plant some more in August for a fall crop.

@vincenzosassone, I'm glad to hear that yours are going good. Do you make pickles, relish, or anything with yours in order to preserve them?

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
Thank for the interest, how about you?
This is the first year that my wife and I have tried homesteading, so I really can't complain. We've been pretty lucky so far. I wish the okra had fared better, but I probably planted it too early and will know better next time. Thanks for asking.

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
Pickles, pickles and more pickles! We love them! We make sweet and dill and they are amazing.
We plant both slicing and pickling cukes. I like burpless ones the best.

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
@vincenzosassone, I'm glad to hear that yours are going good. Do you make pickles, relish, or anything with yours in order to preserve them?
Well, to tell the truth our cucumbers aren't a lot, compared to the other crops. Since they aren't a lot and we preserve a lot of other crops (aubergine, tomato, fig, and even mushrooms found on the mountains) we consume them all using them for salad.