Combines Did I make the right moveIJ

tbran

Uh----let me understand this. You had a gleaner and now you got a binder and you want us to compare.....oh , ok in my honest opinion a 1660 -if it has been highly modified - will out perform a E conventional gleaner. :) |:-- [|:)]pokin fun at your expnse sorry

Farmer_Ed

Yes. We ran Gleaner F2's and my dad has been really happy with them. We have them in tip top and we still have them (my dad is a die hard) but this Case IH 1660 is no comparison, it eats 2 F2's for breakfast!!!! ;) Besides Gleaner is too cheap to paint their metal! (Case joke) But I am not convinced yet either. I think it will be the right move. I wish I know what size Gleaner it is comparable to though!!!! I know the Case is the simplest machine of all that we looked at and it was kind of up to me to pick one out. I hope I made the right choice!

Farmer_Ed

I think I would rather replace 2 elephant ears, in a half hour, then replace the walker crankshafts in a day!!!!! ;)

tbran

not if the old gal is in n1 heat or n2 pms you wouldn't......[ :-}

DJ

Yes,just on the resale value alone.Ican give my own list of reasons but I won't on this show.Dad started out with the old e's ,worked our way up thru the l-3's ( gleaner's best machine ).Decided to go red this past season, a 2366 .Made some mod's to it. Will make more before I run wheat.I always try to get the max . Will say also I did see the inside of a gleaner ,worked for A-C dealer 10 year's till 84.

agpower

I don't think you can compare 1660 to F2 try comparing it to a R60 or R62 depeding on what year your 1660 is. As for the guy with the 2388 I wonder why he needs "mods" on that new a machineIJ I know that while the red guys are blooding their knuckles changing seperator grates you could cut 2 or 3 semi loads of grain with a R62 ! Oh well the blood will match the paint !

tbran

I want to join in but........I never try to win battles of this nature. Every machine has its strenghts and weakness. In 1984 perhaps an l3 was the best of the litter. However the pure simplicity of design, gentle grain handling ability, tremendous capacity, easy maintainance, great handling, comfortable cab, big bin capacity, overall smaller size, and adaptability to many crops- quickly- make the Gleaner rotary as good as or better than any other good combine on the market today. In this forum there are a bunch of good people trying to help take these 1999 features back to those earlier models and provide these owners with the satisfaction and capacity that is available.The ability to take a R_2 into white corn _ yellow corn, then green stem soybeans with only a header switch and less than an hours time make the Gleaner R series very productive machines. ResaleIJ You can argue this till you are blue in the face. You will get "I saw a 9610 or a ____ or a_____(you fill in the blanks it don't matter) sell for nearly nothing....I can PROVE to you one thing - there ain't NOBODY busting the top out of the resale market right now! So....I will try to refrain from trying to convince someone they own the wrong brand....but if anybody doesn't want to work this way and start a war of words ...us silver (painted now by the way) guys got a load of ammunition startin from 1923 ....does the M.A.D nuke policy pertain to combine warsIJ kepp up the good posts and keep those cards and letters comin in

Farmer_Ed

You got that right! Yes, my dad wanted a Gleaner and I opted for the Case IH. We have Case, JD and Gleaner dealers in the area so that was not a big concern. We ran a couple of F2's and a F and they did_do a excellent job in all conditions with all crops. The only thing is they are not up to capacity for today's standards. Plus it seems like I'm changing oil all the time and greasing them up instead of just one machine. We looked at them all and the JD has a good combine but overpriced we felt, and Case was simple and easy and reasonable, and the Gleaners were good too, but a few more parts and inventory for the different models. Your right though, 10% is the combine and 90% is the operator!!! They all have their ups and downs and cherry's and lemons, but you have to run a machine that you feel will do you the best job for you! We felt that this time it was Case. I hope! ;)

tbran

Ah, at least you left yourself an out for down the road :-} good luck