Donkey shelter?

• Thread starter Petal to the Metal
  • Start date
Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I know that donkeys shouldn't be kept alone. I agreed to house the donkey temporarily for two months. If I was keeping him, I'd get another donkey for companionship. I don't have cows, horses, mules, or anything like that. I raise fowl and goats. I figure I will keep the donkey in the goat pen, but what about at night? There's room in the goat shelter for him, but would it be better if he sheltered alone at night? He would have plenty of companionship during the day.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I would quarantine the donkey before you introduce him to your goats, just to make sure he's healthy. After that you can work on integrating him. In the beginning I'd probably house him alone at night since you can't be sure how the donkey and goats will react yet.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Although the donkey will likely be fine with the goats, I probably wouldn't take that risk since it isn't your donkey, and it will be there for a short period of time. There are other things you can do to provide stimulation, such as spending extra time with him and plugging in a radio so he can hear the voices.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Donkeys can be agressive with smaller animals and have been known to injure or even kill goats and sheep. It would probably be better if you keep the donkey apart from them. Donkeys make good guard animals with small ruminants, IF they don't become agressive with them. It's a risk to keep them together.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
He seems sweet so far. Is human interaction enough? I was under the impression that they needed to be with other animals to form a herd of sorts. I'm happy to provide companionship and so will the kids and husband if that's enough stimulation. He won't be here forever, so maybe he doesn't need other furry buddies.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
My wife and I used to have an equine rescue. Donkeys need companions, as do all equines. Other equines or goats will usually work. Occasionally you find one who prefers human companionship. I once had a horse who actually didn't like being with other equines. I managed to find him a home with young kids who really loved him, and they only had room for one horse. He was in heaven, but that's rare.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
@RichZ, Will you please clarify this for me? I'm trying to mesh your two replies. I asked about keeping the donkey with my goats for companionship, and I thought you said not to because the goats could get hurt. Did you mean that I shouldn't try it at night, but it's okay during the day to try? I will observe them for a long time before they are ever left alone together.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I would only put a donkey with goats if I observed the donkey's behavior for several days, and yes, at night I would seperate them. I've known donkeys who did really well with goats, and I've also known a few who got aggressive with goats. Donkeys are extremely intelligent, and their behavior varies. I think if you introduce them properly, they get along well.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
You have been a big help, @RichZ. It's going well so far. I can see why people like donkeys because he is the sweetest thing. He's actually more friendly and affectionate than the horses I've had in the past. I'm sure each donkey has their own unique personality though, like every other creature. I've been keeping them together for a few hours a day, just so he isn't lonely, and that seems to be enough. I will miss him when it's time for him to go to his home.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
A friend of mine had two mini-donkies, and they were wonderful, intelligent animals. I became pals with them, and they were incredibly affectionate. Their favorite treat was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. When we brought pb&j sandwiches out to them, they'd do a happy dance.