Combines Dream Reaper and the Bi rotor combine

Farm_Kid2

Deere has the rights to the machine. As for Brand X, I know it wasn't Claas, but don't know who it was. My guess would be an R72.

Harvester

Probably a good guess, given that the R72, at least in Kansas crops at the time that the Bi-rotor was being developed, was THE machine to beat in capacity and performance, and was really the only class 7 on the market outside of Claas's lexion which was still only sold in Europe in the mid 90s.

johnboy

Before Cat released their machine a Cat engineer was talking to me about the R72 and the good and bad points on it. They were using the R72 as a reference point for the Cat's performance

NRC

Deere was so worried that CAT would enter the combine market that they bought the rights to the bi-rotor from them. CAT knew that it would be a long time from prototype to production so they formed the partnership with Claas.

dakota

I read this book just like you did over a year ago. Than I visited Mark Underwood, who happens to live just an hour from me. Whity and the XBR2 are both sitting on his property to be seen. I was told that company X was New Holland who introduced a new model at the time. The rights and patents were sold to John Deere. But later on there was a law suit, because the contract apparently wasn't done correctly. Mark Underwood and his enterprise apparently are allowed to use most of their patents again.

Bob

Dakota do you think they will try to market the bi-rotor in the future. Thats the first I have heard about a law suit between Underwood and John Deere. I always wondered what happen to the bi-rotor, use to here alot about it out here in Kansas, then they sold to deere and everthing got quite about the bi-rotor. Thanks

FarmBuddy

Company X referred to in the Dream Reaper book was not Claas nor was it Gleaner. In 1993, New Holland was starting to build the Row Crop Challengers up in Winnepeg. Since Cat was working with them already it seemed reasonable to accept the NH offered to provide a base machine to test the Bi-Rotor against. Comparisons were against the TRs and TX machines in AZ and California in 1994. The NH personnel were really just interested in getting Cat to put tracks under their combines. They ended up shooting theirselves in the foot in the long run, but fudging with the test data in favor of the TX combines. Regarding the Gleaner R72, I've always thought this would be a good configuration to covert to a rotating concave cage. This could be done just to the left of the feederchain area. It would be the easiest machine to make into a Bi-Rotor cage, since it already had a natural flow from the right to left and also a 360 degree cage.

FarmBuddy

In my opinion, Deere was either impressed or worried about the XBR2 Bi-Rotor, perhaps because of it's performance and simplicity. They also needed to take steps to curtail Caterpillars advancements in the ag market at that time. Subsequently, JD came back to bargaining table early in 1995 when we showed the updated graphic videos depicting the potential of one centerline power-unit that could be used for planting bulk seed, then spraying the same path, then using GPS to again harvest the same path. That versatile power system concept could have adversely effected sales of the new 4700 sprayers, Air-seeders, Commodity Carts and 9000T tractors and STS combines during the late 1990s and forever. The XBR2 configuration would have been a good versatile machine for modern no-till farmers wanting to manage their machinery capital expenses. The Deere marketing personel were smart enough to recognize this, perhaps even better than the Cat managers at that time. The Deere was quicker than Cat that time. AGV

dakota

I think the birotor is pretty dead right now. Too much politics involved everywhere.

pacemaker

Well what the hell do you mean ralf "what the hell do you know about anything let alone that" your a!! "well I will leave that ot your imagination gay boy"!!!