Combines dust diverter

greenstrat

I have considered mounting an old leaf blower up there and driving it off of the feeder chain drive. Might not be pretty but would still pass enough cfm to work. All the dust is coming back on the upper side anyhow so just cut a hole in the front of the feeder and duct it to the blower with the exhaust to the side. Might have to open the exhaust port of the fan up some since they are made for high speed air movement and now we want to get high cfm.

Erky

Just saw a ad for a dust control unit a few days ago that caught my attention. It was moulded from plastic and sat across the feeder house over the chain inspection holes. It tilted up to check chain. Ad said it drove off the feeder drive. I believe it was called clear view or something like that. If I find the ad again I will post more info. Anyone else see thisIJ

unclebuck

We traded a 9600 in this fall that had a johnson dust diverter on the feeder house. One thing i didn't like, when you have one sucking dust out the inspection holes you have a mess waiting for you ever time you check your feederhouse chain. not very pleasant when you've been cutting milo.

greenstrat

saw one in an ad a long time ago that was mounted right up front and the intake was above the feeder opening. Don't remember the name nor have I ever seen it advertised again, but maybe the idea is okIJ Would an air reel have the same effectIJ Makes me wonder.. GS

AJTIII

I put a Johnson Dust Diverter on my 8820 last year and am very pleased with it. It runs off my hydraulics and there was no cutting that had to be done to the feeder house. It installs in place of the inspection_step cover on the top center of the feeder house. Its a clean design and I never have had a mess on the discharge side of the machine and it doesn't seem to add more dust to the radiator. I looked at the other kind of diverter that was made from plastic and ran off the feeder house drive chain and it just didn't seem to be the quality that the Johnson is and it was even more expensive. If you make your own I wouldn't recommend using electric because the 8820 doesn't have the alternator that the 9000 series have and also the possibility of a fire from a heated wire or motor. Please let us know what you decide and if you need more information on the Johnson diverter I would be happy to help.

Krzewina_Farms

If ya dont mind me asking, how much did they get ya for the diverterIJ Also, would one from a 7720 fit on a 9500 if we ever updatedIJ Thanks, Chad

unclebuck

I wonder too. It would seem to me that an air reel would actually blow the dust created by the header up and still hinder your vision. A dust diverter can only remove the dust in the feederhouse which only amounts to about half of the dust in the area the rest of it is created by the header it's self. It would take a tremendous amount of vacumn to totally remove all of the dust. We have cut under some conditions where the diverter just couldn't do enough for us. Maybe someone who has the diverter and an air reel could tell usIJ

Erky

Does Johnson have a web sight or where are they located as I haven't heard of them.

aar

We have a Crary air reel and a feederhouse vac. The feederhouse vac is the same one carried by Poly-Tech. It runs off the feederhouse drive chain. It does a great job of removing the FEEDERHOUSE dust. The air reel creates a lot of dust, but the improvement in performance is well worth it. The only problem we have with the vac is that in corn with fast head speeds it pulls shucks and leaves through the fans and sometimes throw the belt off the drive pulley. Still am satisfied. BTW the vac cost around $1325

pk7

While reading Farm Show magazine I found a poly dust diverter that is driven on the feeder house drive chain. It is made by a company by the name of Poly Tech. They advertize it on their website to fit JD combines with a list price of $1750. You can find Poly Tech at www.polyskid.com. They call their diverter "E-Z View".