Equipment mechanic

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
I had a high school student reach out to me this week about working on my farm equipment. He is taking classes at BOCES in school but wants some real life experience too. Would you let him work on your stuff?

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
For me, it depends on how far along he is in his training and whether I thought he could handle it after meeting the boy. I've done something like that before and it worked out okay. I want to support the schools and students as much as I can.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
Of course I would let him come and watch me or my guys work on it. If I thought he understood it enough, I'd let him get his hands dirty. I think hands-on training is the best way to learn something.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
I too would let him come to the farm. I think it is great that he is trying to gain some real-life experience. Of course I would watch him closely to be sure that he is doing things the correct way.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
If you have some experience, you can let him work under your supervision. Alternatively, if a more experienced mechanic is available, he can work under them. You may eventually end up hiring him and get a valuable addition to the farm.

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
I like the way Jack thinks. If he has any experience (even schooling) he could be a big help too (and cheap). I would definitely let him work with me. I would not want to bother a professional though. We pay by the hour so I wouldn't want the student to slow him down.

FarmEnthusiast

FarmEnthusiast

Farm Hand
For me, it depends on how far along he is in his training and whether I thought he could handle it after meeting the boy. I've done something like that before and it worked out okay. I want to support the schools and students as much as I can.
I admire the self-drive that this student possesses. That kind of determination will take him places. I think it is better to start by giving him an orientation of the farm while observing his work ethic.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
I love these school programs. I did the same in school. I also joined the FFA club. I learned a lot through both of those. I worked on our farm so I didn't have to go out to another farm to gain experience.
I think it's a great thing to do. Of course, feel the kid out, see how much he knows.