Combines Fine Cut Chopper

Illinois_Gleaner

The bad thing about that chopper is there isnt a knife that is right across from another one. I thought I would just take one off of the other side and that would balance it while someone went and got parts. Not on that one the way the hammers are staggered.Has Gleaner came up with any thing to fix this problemIJ Or I am sure it is just us few guys. When mine goes in,to be fixed I want all new hammers on mine,if there is an update. IG

Illinois_Gleaner

That sounds good for the parts department,But if the hammers are not corrected,it isnt going to do any good,as soon as it throws one off in low,it will be the same thing over again.Have you ever shut down the combine and went back there and feel how hot that bearing isIJ I dont know how it could run,you cant put your hand on it. I think it needs about 2 times bigger bearind on the chopper. If you are going to up the speed,you need to beef it up. I think that thing runs something like 2850 rpms on high IG

Jeff

Sent dad 4 hours away to Mt. hope and got the last set of knives they had. I feel like we won the lottery.

turbo

I think they are going to slow them down in high speed. I am not sure what good that will do since it seems like they get broke in corn in slow speed. Almost every time we went to put it in high speed for beans there were some missing.

dar

Hammers r55 Have the same problem the combine is 2yrs old 400 hrs on it and i cant keep hammers in it About every 40 hrs I loose a set of hammers. The dealer claims never heard of this problem you must be the first.Man I get a lot of the first ----. Anyone know if agco going to cover such cost and fix this problem

Indy_Gleaner

I don't understand why it has to be run on high speed for beans. I always ran my old chopper on slow speed and never had any problems. I ask and was told it would burn up belt and tear the side of the combine out. The old one chopped it fine enough for me, on slow and fed through much better than the original paddles in a R50. I'm also having the knife problem in my R55 with 560 hrs. Was told to replace each year. Thanks Richard

NDDan

I was getting uneasy about guys keeping these maintained so looked into the Rodono as alternative to a better cut than standard. Only blades we were breaking was in rocky conditions but wear was to rapid. They sure work good while in good shape but many operators were surely not going to keep them up which not only can cause vibration but lose suction from rotor. Not enough corn in our area to see the posible breakage there. Anyway we have improved chopping with old choppers with Clinton stationary chopper knifes. Time will tell on the Rodono. I had a hot rod custumer that likes his Rodono after a few years. He has it sped up a bit from normal fast speed. We sold a few Rodono's this year and coupled them up with Clinton chopper knifes. Most are running at standard old chopper speed but have a couple where they sped up with Gleaners fine cut pulley. We'll get some reports after harvest or this winter. The Rodono has 20 1_4" blades and are reversable. I haven't installed one in place of fine cut so don't know how they will line up with stationary knifes. We'll let you know how they are working out later.

Rolf

Checked out our 94 R62 chopper this year! had one of the hammers back of pivot hole missing! so Im replacing all hammers and hardware. Has worked find for 13 years all in small grain! AGCO (Massy Australia)wanted AU$158 (US141)per two hammer Sets IJIJIJ$n%^@^and in our combine. Have gone loewen Hammer set thank you, back around AU$62 per set. Someone in AGCO USA should give our boys a ring me thinksIJ they lost AU$400 bucks worth of business! OH by the way don't break the Stop sign Rotor Bearing hub they (AGCO) AU$580 for it! I know the AGCO boys over there look here :) Poke,poke, hint, hint! Rolf

Illinois_Gleaner

They are a joke. They do a good job,but if they wont keep running what is the pointIJ I think if they beefed up the bearing size and made a thick plate to hold it on both sides it would work. But you cant spin it that much faster on the same shaft and bearings as the other chopper. And then the hammers need replaced every year agco says. I had 2 of them fly off on a combine with 150 hours on it. As well as ripping the side out of my combine when the bearings failed IG