Combines Ford 8970 vs John Deere 4960

gleanermanitoba

Can not comment on the Deere or the 8970 directly, but I do run an 8670. I really like the tractors performance in the feild, quite fuel efficient, very easy to operate, smooth ride and good power. The only complaint we have (6000 hours)is that for the last 2-3 years we have begun to have electronic troubles that are becoming a nusance and everything is a $400.00 fix. A_C relay under roof, 3 pt potentiometer, fuel shut off solonoid, dash just quits and tractor will start but not go any where has been sent away 2 times no problems found, mechanically hydraulic oil filter housing snapped off, and water pump. the lat two were not to bad to repair and at these hours some things are expected it is the electronic ones that are a concern. Otherwise love the tractor and its still here.

FX_30

I have an 8870 and 8770 they are both very reliable tractors. I would go with the 8970 because you will probably be able to get one a little cheaper. They have a bigger cab,two doors,a better turning radius with supersteer,and more hyd flow with megaflow. Both tractors have over 6000 hrs. and we have had very few problems.Had to put brakes on 8870,because of pulling a 6300 gal manure tanker doing custom hauling. These tractors seem to be holding there value better than a few years ago in this area,we also have very good dealer support.

TwinRotor

Go with the New Holland 8970, the engine, transmission, and hydraulics are years ahead of what the deere was. The 8970 has the 210hp Genesis engine which has more power and uses probably half the fuel the 4960 does. The transmission in the 8970 is second to none in shift smoothness and features. The clutch is almost not even needed with the New Holland because you can select the gear you want in neutral push the lever forward and it will start in a pre-selected gear and shift up to the gear you want. If want to go into reverse just pull the lever backwards and the transmission will shift down to neutral and shift up in reverse to the gear you want and this is also very smooth. Also there is an automatic feature on the New Holland when activated it shifts on its own to match speed and engine rpms. The hydraulics on the New Holland are twice the gpm the deere has.

farmerman

We had a 4960 for a few years before trading to a 4WD. It was a good tractor. Just reading TwinRotor's comments reminds me of a neighbor who demoed a Genesis tractor of that hp and was not happy at all. He said it was not smooth at all. I would like to think it was not just a tire problem that the dealer didn't have set up properly for the demo. The Deere may not be as fuel efficient, I don't know, but I do know it will outpull a New Holland of the same rated hp.

JD

that's BS farmerman. anyone claiming a 8970 was not as smooth as 4960 has a extreme bias! i have owned both and now own Deere 8320s. would love to have 2 new 8970s to replace the Deere's with though if things where still as they where 12 years ago. Deere's are nice, strong all around decent tractors, but the Genesis just had so much ahead of the other's in that timeframe. NH_Fiat made a grave mistake buying CIH for the NH side that is, the Genesis 8970 was everything Twin rotor said. a 4960 could not a hold a light to a 8970, if you put both at the same exact hp, weighted and tired the same way, the 8970 would win hands down as it had tighter shift ratios. JD

TwinRotor

The Genesis line of tractors in my opinion were the greatest tractor in the hp range ever made. They thought of everything when they came out with those machines. If they had been painted green deere would have sold twice the amounted of tractors they sold under the 8000 series line. Its going to be a sad day when they shut down the genesis engine line soon. Those were one of the best diesel engines made as well. They seem to crank a lot more hp out of a lot less fuel than deere and caseih could do.

tr

I agree strongly. the 7.5 liter genesis engine is second to none. Too bad the TG's and MX's don't have it. The 8.3 Cummins is excellent motor, but doesn't have near the torque and lugging power of the genesis, and don't forget fuel economy. Fuel economy probably is the best asset of that engine. I know guys who went to TR98's and the most impressive thing they said was the power it had but it didn't use much fuel to sustain that power. I have heard though that the genesis engine at those higher horsepowers is almost impossible to get to Tier 3 compliance.

JD

tr, i have heard guys who ran Genesis say, and we're talking about the last of the Genesis's with a "A" and late models, that the Cummins in the MX_TG had much more torque, a claim i hardly could believe but i know one of the guys in question and he has no bias. the early Genesis where flat out awesome, around bout 1998 they cut the power back and it was noticable. My 96 8970 probably had 50-75 more hp than my 99 8970. just an educated guess! i talked with a Buhler rep @ louisville 2 years ago and he said about what you did concerning the Genesis and Tier 3 Emissions, but why is thatIJ can it not be re-engineeredIJ personally, i think the EPA, US Gov should be given a good roundhouse for dreaming up such crap! all these computerised Fuel systems lack a lot to be desired. Just give them a few years and it's like a bad dream! JD

Farmerman

Wasn't looking for trouble, just letting you know what a good neighbor of mine experienced. I have never run a Genesis, but I stated very mildly what my neighbor told me. If those tractors were_are as good as you fellows say, obviously something was not good at that demo. He did not buy that tractor.

Brian

Just bought our first Genesis in 2004. It is a Buler 2210. Best performing engine on the farm. Was way cheaper than the competition and totally out performed it!!! Granted it dyno'd 240 from the factory. The 18 speed powershift on the Bulher is just plain awesome. Only thing I can find smoother is the AGCO CVT. Awesome tractor!!!