Combines Gleaner F3

PETE

Excellent machines, I had a 81'F2 and was very impressed with how solidly built it was over my 78'. The 4 cylinder tubocharged motor is one sweet running motor but with a hydro and RWA I have heard it tends to run out of power when things get tough. My F2 was a variable speed and I never lacked for power, my biggest concern was grain bin capacity as it only held about 120 bu. and I was unloading all the time. This is just my opinion but I would not pay more than $10M as there is not alot of demand for a machine that size around here in eastern Ia.

acre_eater

A couple of weeks ago a combine like that sold a auction for 9000 it had an 436 corn head and no grain head. We had an F2 pretty good machine I do remember that thier is a long chain that drives the walkers and other things. It would come off somtimes and would wrap and bend one of the shafts.

Farmer_Ed

I believe these are some really great machines as far as combines are concerned. I ran F's and F2's and the F2 is a little nicer as far as comfort goes. I think the F3 is very similar to the F2 and even the basic F for that matter. You will not bend any shafts if you run the chain loose enough (not too loose though). Keep chains in good shape and sprockets as well and make sure they are lined up. Personally I like the 292ci gas engine and the variable speed 3 gears forward and one in reverse when it comes to these machines for a few reasons( I won't get in to). They are easy to work on, balanced nice, easy to change to and from crops, and still easy to get parts for (as long as your dealer is not far). I guess the downside to these machines I would guess would be the bearings, and the shafts could have been beefed up more, not to mention the slip clutches getting set right, and the chopper flails could be better. I really think you will like this machine, I know I enjoyed all of mine. Basically it's like any machine, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

John

Sounds to me like you found a rare machine, as I have never seen an F2_F3 with hydro. Guy I know had one of the last F3's (green stripe) and it was gear drive and manual swing auger. Speaking of which, does the one you spotted have hydraulic swing augerIJ If it's hydro drive I'd figure it would. Most F_F2's here in KS have 16' headers. I imagine a 3 row corn head would be right for them as they are bigger than A_E_K (2 row) but smaller than C2_G (4 row).

kdoss

The F2 and F3 are almost the same machine, except for a couple of modifications. I currently have seven F2's ranging from 79-81 and I am more than satisfied with them. The four-cylinder turbo diesel is an outstanding engine and has alot of power. I do not know too much about the hydro because all of mine are gear drive. Make sure it has the hydraulic unloading tube on it, because it really makes it really nice. All of ours has it and we just love it. If you get it,you will be more than satisfied with it. The price range is from 9,000 to 16,000 it just depends on where youre located and how well it has been maintained. like in Michigan they will cost you as much as 20,000 to 28,000.

Tom_B

John The F3 should run a 4 row corn head without any problems. I beleive that they built this model until 1987.

Tom_B

John The F3 should run a 4 row corn head without any problems. I beleive that they built this model until 1987.

pdh

We have a 86 F3 hydro that we purchased new in 86 .It has 4100 engine hrs.We run 7 20 inch rows in corn and a 315 flex. We combine about 700 acres a year. The hydro is nice to operate and trouble free. In general it is a good machine with lots of capacity in corn and beans, but in wheat will put grain out the back end if you push it at all.

wayl

i got a gleaner f and it is a real good machine i am very pleased with it i talked to people with f3 and they think they are good machines