Goats need a job

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
My goats were recruited for goat yoga which is popular in my Californian city. They loved working, but COVID-19 wrecked it. They are getting bored. What jobs can they do around a farm. I have chickens and goats for livestock. I grow flowers and plants commercially and I have a home garden with vegetables and fruits. I have greenhouses, a nursery where I sell plants, and some pasture land.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
How many goats do you have, and how big is your farm? Goats are very good at clearing brush and weeds if you have areas that need clearing.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Get them a backpack and train them to bring you stuff. Or get them a cart and let them pull it. I keep mine occupied by letting them work for their food sometimes. I have large toy balls with openings that drop goat feed when they're rolled. It keeps them entertained for a while.

Gordyg

Gordyg

Farm Hand
I love this!!! I didn't know that goats were so smart! I don't have animals but if I did, a goat would be tops on my list. I'd teach it to pick grapes!!! Ha ha, wonder how many it would eat.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
My wife and I used to have a dairy goat farm. Goats are incredibly intelligent. We used to say if they had opposable thumbs, they would take over the world. And they'd probably do a better job than we humans do.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
That's pretty funny Rich. I couldn't agree more! They are smart for sure. I think some goats are bossy too (and loud). I do think that they are my favorites on our neighbors farm.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Here's a story I like to tell about how smart goats are...
I had put in a new barn for my does and I never thought to put the light switch out of their reach. One night, we could see that the light in the barn was on, I knew I had turned it off when I left, so I yelled out through a window; "You girls turn off that light!" The light went off. Whenever I saw the light on, I could open a window and yell at them to turn it off, and they did. Off course, eventually I moved the light switch out of their reach.

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
@RichZ That is too funny!
We have a couple of goats. They are a hoot, but I have never given them jobs.
That goat yoga sounds interesting. I will have to look into that.

RuralFarm

RuralFarm

Farm Hand
Goats are intelligent animals, but I had no idea that there is goat yoga. I cannot start to picture how bored they are now. How does the concept of yoga work?

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
Goats are nature's lawnmowers. It isn't unheard of for owners to rent them out, or barter, to other people for the purpose of "mowing their lawn".