Combines Gordon bars

dumfarmer

I had the same question in mind this summer. I had a very unacceptable amount of cracked wheat last fall and am looking for answers and solutions. We have the specialty rotor in a 1680 and thinking of Gordon Bars. I am still open to suggestions to cure the problem this year. Thanks

Old_Pokey

Sorry I cant help ya with the corn but I just installed a full set of Gorden bars and helical concaves in my 1680 and only had a chance to run for a few minutes today in tall fescue grass seed. But, I will tell you that in the grass, what little I've had the chance to run, the bars and concaves appear to really be the ticket. Once the order showed up and I could see the concaves and bars together on the shop floor, the theories behind them started to make really good sense. In my opinion, so far, the best way to get the most good out of the Gorden bars is to run them with the helical concaves, and vise verse. The cross bars on the helical concaves are just about the same angle as the gorden rotor bars. It appears to give you a true 90 degree thresh action to the crop flow. When I shut the machine down full and looked, thats exactly what I saw. I was very impressed with the movement of the material through the machine. Usually with the tough straw the material will stall and rope. Not so with the Gorden setup, the material moves smoothely. But, this is just the first short little observation I've had the chance to make in tall fescue. I hope to get back into the field maybe sunday, and do more experimenting and observing.

Wolffman

Red: I've only been running an Axial two years, I fought with rotor loss until I installed the 8 straight seperator bars on the rear of the rotor. I've only ran wheat with them, but am extremely pleased. You have to hunt to find wheat on the ground. Also, it was my first run with a new concave, I can run my rotor slower to avoid grinding wheat and still thresh out the hulls. My 1688 came with Gorden bars, so I have nothing to compare it to, but they seem OK. In corn it seems to clean the cob without busting it. It would be nice to be able to run two identical combines side by side, one with Gorden's one without! Wolffman

Wolffman

This year I ran 780 under load, dry, 65bpa wheat, rebuilt large wire concave, cover-plates on front 1_2. last year with the old concave I had to run rotor at full speed and still had some hulls. CW