Growing mushrooms

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
Mushrooms are among the most profitable crops that you can grow on a small farm. There is usually a high demand for them, especially in my area, and sometimes a lack of supply. I am considering venturing into mushroom farming, but I am unsure about where to start?

Gardenry

Farm Hand
Find a reliable source for plugs if that's the route you're going to take. Some mushrooms grow in the forest and they're perfectly safe to eat. If you can identify them correctly, then maybe you could start with that.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Before you do anything else, you have to be sure that you have a market for them.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
This is pretty interesting. There is a mushroom farm near where I live. They grow numerous kinds and they are all edible. They have concoctions that they sell for different ailments.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
Before you do anything else, you have to be sure that you have a market for them.
I agree that it will be risky to start mushroom farming without identifying a ready market. How long do mushrooms take to mature, and is it better to grow them indoors or outdoors?

The Rutherford Family

Farm Hand
It depends on the mushroom I think. I've never tried growing them myself, but I've read that some are ready in just a few days and others take weeks to reach maturity. I think it would be easier to grow them indoors since they don't require light.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
I believe that starting small can help. Get as much information about mushroom farming as you can, study the market, and prepare cost estimates. I agree with @The Rutherford Family about growing them indoors.