Help with buttercups....that are sure to grow in my pastures

Birdie

Golden Chicken
^Yes, it's the same chemical.

Buttercups are toxic to goats, cattle, horses, just about every creature really. Most livestock will avoid them though. I hate to be cynical but I bet they'll come right back no matter what you do. Weeds are excellent survivalists and opportunists. Their seeds carry in the wind, on wildlife, and on the bottoms of your shoes. I hope you figure something out. Let us know how it goes.

Trophyduck

Farm Hand
^Yes, it's the same chemical.

Buttercups are toxic to goats, cattle, horses, just about every creature really. Most livestock will avoid them though. I hate to be cynical but I bet they'll come right back no matter what you do. Weeds are excellent survivalists and opportunists. Their seeds carry in the wind, on wildlife, and on the bottoms of your shoes. I hope you figure something out. Let us know how it goes.
A little late but here's the update.
I sprayed with Pasture Pro. It made a noticeable impact on the buttercups. I can tell even today where I missed. I didn't get rid of all of them but a lot.....I mowed what started growing again and sprayed a second time. Doesn't seem as effective .

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
A little late but here's the update.
I sprayed with Pasture Pro. It made a noticeable impact on the buttercups. I can tell even today where I missed. I didn't get rid of all of them but a lot.....I mowed what started growing again and sprayed a second time. Doesn't seem as effective .
Even though I don't use herbicides, I've noticed that some weeds are incredibly tenacious and have a strong sense of self-preservation lately. We didn't have a hard freeze this year and I wonder if that might have something to do with it. I appreciate you coming back to share an update. I hope you find something that works for you!

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Buttercups do cause blisters in horses' mouths. I had buttercups in the horse pasture in my old farm. I just made sure that they had plenty of good pasture and hay to eat, and they just stayed away from the buttercups. Using herbicides to get rid of the buttercups probably won't be very effective and will probably be more harmful to the horses than the buttercups.

Ben

Ben

Farm Hand
@RichZ, it sounds like the buttercups are spreading and taking over the whole pasture. Creeping buttercups are pretty aggressive, so I can see that happening. I thought they died back during the hot months though. I've never dealt with it. I'm not big on herbicides because in my experience, it just causes other problems down the road.

@Trophyduck, I know they say you can mow, two to three days after applying the herbicide, but it might work better if you let it stay on the plants longer. What will grow there though once they die? That's the problem with herbicides? If you're left with dirt, another weed will end up there. Would clover out compete the buttercups? Maybe sowing some of that will help.

Fishheadbob

Check your PH. I've heard buttercups are an indicator of low PH as they're supposedly fond of acidic soil. When I had horses they wouldn't touch buttercups. And maybe see if the goaaats can eat them; cheaper than limestone.

Trophyduck

Farm Hand
Check your PH. I've heard buttercups are an indicator of low PH as they're supposedly fond of acidic soil. When I had horses they wouldn't touch buttercups. And maybe see if the goaaats can eat them; cheaper than limestone.
The deer eat them....goats don't seem to bother with them....