Homeless Garden Project

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
I was browsing a farming website I like and ran across an article about the Homeless Garden Project. The program helps homeless people by employing them to grow flowers, fruits, and vegetables 20 hours a week and providing them basic job training. They pay a wage, and each participant is paired with a social worker to help them reach goals. It's a year-long program, and nearly everyone who has graduated has been able to secure a steady job and housing.

It made me think.....what can I do to help people in my community? What can we all do to help those in need?

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
I’m glad to hear that you are interested in helping the community. I do think these programs have nice ideas and intentions but it seems to me that past results were questioned a lot of times because providing training that part didn’t go well and people still can’t find a job after the programs.

So I would suggest, if you really have the time and passion, develop a detailed farming program that really teaches the participants how to farm. This might also be helpful for you because it also provide you opportunities to hire the trained participants afterwards. Though just bear in mind that it really requires a lot of time and effort.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
I love the idea. Around here, some folks complain about people being on food stamps when they should just learn to garden. I think the lack of land and start up resources is a big obstacle for some. Even those with gardening space might be renters and some landlords won't allow them to garden. I think it's great to teach gardening skills, but we also need to be realistic about how many people can take those skills and run with it.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
One of the issued faced here in Florida with efforts like this - many of the homeless don't stay all year ... they only come for the winter when there is much less farming.

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
What Qapla said is a thing too. Honestly, if they don’t want to work and put some efforts, it’s hard for us to help as well. And I guess that’s one of the reasons people are already tired of creating these training programmes.

Paul

Paul

Farm Hand
I think this is a great way to help people. The training would definitely give them skills they need to sustain themselves. Learning how to do various things on the farm can be especially beneficial as they can use these skills to grow their own food after they leave the program.