How many fish in a 1-acre pond?

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
Are there fish species that are less successful on ponds smaller than one acre? Again, what should guide a farmer's choice of combination? I am interested in indulging in fishing, both as a farming option and hobby!

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
A one acre pond is huge. A person can do a lot with that. I think it's important to start with what your family will eat and what they won't. It does no good to stock a pond with trout if trout never make it to the dinner table.

MartyR

Farm Hand
I don't know much about it, but my buddy has a pond and I know he's had some trouble with the water's temperature. Some fish like warm water and others like cool water. Apparently they're more likely to get sick or even die if the temperature is wrong. They're unlikely to spawn too. It's something to consider when making your choice.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
I agree that it may be too ambitious as a beginner to raise fish in a 1-acre pond. From what I've heard, the number will depend on the type of fish in question. Most ponds can support approximately 500 pounds of fish per acre.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
For a warm-water pond, you can stock 1,000 to 1,500 bluegills, 50 to 200 catfish, and 50 to 100 bass per acre. I agree with @Urban Homestead that you should start small and advance gradually.