How To Neuter A Male Cat Yourself

Mackowiak

Do you know how to neuter a male cat yourself? The ones around the barn are getting expensive to bring in to the vet for the procedure. It seems like it might be a simple enough process if there's a way to immobilize the cat.

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
Please do not try to do this yourself! Look around your community and surrounding towns for places that offer low-cost spay/neuter services. If you don't have a clinic near you that offers discounted services, talk to your vet about a discount. Some vets will discount services for feral/community cats.

Fishheadbob

Don't do it. My father and I neutered a cat, the cat barely survived, my father was a surgeon. Look for a feral cat organization near you.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
Not a good choice. I just saw a program advertised near me for $10 sprays. You will want to contact a vet to see if there is some kind of program in your area.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Why not just find other ways to save money...do you do your own dentistry? Perhaps just have going to craigslist for a prostate exam, or just maybe DONT OWN AN ANIMAL IF YOU CANT PROVIDE BASIC HEALTHCARE FOR IT.

Its not like there are not a plethora of low cost animal shelter options out there in most any area. Call the local shelter/ASPCA - talking around $10-15 a cat here and there are places that will waive this with income verification.

Bottom line, dont practice surgery if your not a surgeon. Theres a reason they go to school and not a 4 hour training seminar on how to neuter an animal.