If someone brought you food or goodies. . .

Birdie

Golden Chicken
would you assume that you should return the container or would you think it was yours to keep? It's not presented as a gift. It's a meal or dessert that's been dropped off just because.

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
It would depend on my relationship with the other person and whether they've dropped any goodies before. Again, it is polite to return, just as a way to reciprocate the act of kindness.

Marv Buettner

Marv Buettner

would you assume that you should return the container or would you think it was yours to keep? It's not presented as a gift. It's a meal or dessert that's been dropped off just because.
My wife said to wash and dry the container, put a handwritten thank you in the container, and return it!

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
The golden rule is always return a container but never return it empty! Whether you bake something or fill it with candy, you should always return it full.
I would say the only time that you wouldn't do this or be expected to is if it was for a funeral.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
I'm in agreement with Roo. You should always clean it and fill it with something before returning it. It's just common courtesy. If it was a gift, you can keep the container.

kp+

I'm in agreement with Roo. You should always clean it and fill it with something before returning it. It's just common courtesy. If it was a gift, you can keep the container.
Say thank you and get their phone number to

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
@Marv Buettner, that's a good idea. So many people don't bother with handwritten cards today and that's a shame.
The golden rule is always return a container but never return it empty! Whether you bake something or fill it with candy, you should always return it full.
Really? To me that feels like giving something in order to get something in return. I'd hate for someone to feel pressured. What if they don't cook or can't afford to return the gesture? I think it's a sweet idea, but I'm glad that's not the common practice in my social circle. I do mail a thank-you card when I'm the receiver though.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
I agree with Roo. You don't have to put something expensive in there. You can even put homemade bread or dollar candy in there. It's just a nice gesture. It's not expected but it is welcomed.