Jumbo Wrench Set Harbor Freight

Levay

I was looking at a jumbo wrench set Harbor Freight. Would you trust their brand for tools?

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Some are actually a good bang for the buck. Depends on how long you need it to last or what you plan on doing with it. I buy tools there that I'll use for one job or infrequently.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
I haven't had much luck...example 1/2" ratchet gear broke.3' pry bar trying to line holes for pin.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Some of their hand tools are pretty good, you have to really check them out, but I've had some pretty good luck with their hand tools. Their power tools often are not the best, but if they're for occasional use they may be OK.

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Some of their hand tools are pretty good, you have to really check them out, but I've had some pretty good luck with their hand tools. Their power tools often are not the best, but if they're for occasional use they may be OK.

The Bauer line at HF seem pretty decent if it's cheaper than other options. For example I got their 1000ft lb impact wrench for i think $79 with coupon. Compared to anything else on the market if you only occasionally use it, not a bad deal and decent quality.

They have several different lines and I think Bauer is second best. Then comes Chicago Electric and one below that even. Definitely wouldn't recommend the entry level but even the Chicago Electric is decent if you just need rough work done and infrequent use. I've had a $75 Chicago Electric tile saw for years that gets the job done if you keep an eye on the alignment.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
The Bauer line at HF seem pretty decent if it's cheaper than other options. For example I got their 1000ft lb impact wrench for i think $79 with coupon. Compared to anything else on the market if you only occasionally use it, not a bad deal and decent quality.

They have several different lines and I think Bauer is second best. Then comes Chicago Electric and one below that even. Definitely wouldn't recommend the entry level but even the Chicago Electric is decent if you just need rough work done and infrequent use. I've had a $75 Chicago Electric tile saw for years that gets the job done if you keep an eye on the alignment.

True. I bought a harbor freight reciprocating saw to put a metal roof on my house. I figured it would last for at least that job. As I was cutting the last piece of metal roofing, smoke started coming out of the saw. It lasted EXACTLY as long as I needed it for the job.

Reactions: MC
MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
True. I bought a harbor freight reciprocating saw to put a metal roof on my house. I figured it would last for at least that job. As I was cutting the last piece of metal roofing, smoke started coming out of the saw. It lasted EXACTLY as long as I needed it for the job.

If it died on the last cut I'd take it back.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
If it died on the last cut I'd take it back.
I did. But I also bought a reconditioned Sawzall, so I'd have a reciprocating saw that I could rely on, because when you need one, you need it to work.

NHFARMERCBH

NHFARMERCBH

Love HF. Stay way from small molded items... i.e drill bits. All of my wrenches are from there and I use them all the time... truck to tractor... AT HF if it feels cheap it is.
I invested in the Bauer drills earlier this year and have not been disappointed. Decent battery life for the price, too.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Some of their hand tools are fine. I have one of their socket wrench sets that is as good as any.