Combines large or Small Wire Concaves in Soybeans

steve_farmer

I'm in n. minn. and I leave in the large wire concaves for everything, wheat, barley, and soybeans. Saves alot of work. The trick is to have cover plates under the front 1 1_2 of the concaves. By the way, James, the redekop chopper is working great! Steve

James

Thanks Steve. Glad to hear the Redekop chopper is working for you. I'm quite satisfied with the TSR chopper. It did wreck a belt this year, but they did send me a different idler that is supposed to be an improvement. Did you have a good crop this yearIJ We were very fortunate everything yielded very well, except the soybeans. They aren't done yet, but they look like about 2_3 what they could have been, we were too dry near the end of the season. That dryness made for a very easy harvest. I don't think we've ever harvested such a big crop so fast.

wilddog

Steve, Do you leave all the wires in the concavesIJ Did you buy or make your cover platesIJ How much of a job is it to install_remove the platesIJ I grow corn, wheat, barley and soybeans and am looking to get around having to change concaves and pull_install wires on my 1460. This is my first year with an IH combine and for wheat we used the small wire and two lg wire with all wires in and it did a good job. Switched to corn Firday and put the lg wire back in followed by two lg wire concaves with every other wire pulled on the back two. If I leave it like this and use cover plates will it also work on small grainIJ Or would I need to put the wires back in tooIJ Can I leave the wires out when I get to beansIJ Do the cover plates reduce the capacity of the combineIJ

steve_farmer

I leave all the wires in. I bought the covers from Marvin Gordon. Initially, it was to get rid of the whitecaps in wheat. He suggested using the large wires so the grain could fall through better. Really helped to reduce rotor loss and the load on the return because the plates make the initial thresh so effective. I was surprised when he said to leave it the same for soybeans. Worked great. It made a world of differnce. Removal is easy, but unnecessary, unless you need to get to the rotor.I do no corn. The plates do not reduce the combine capacity. Bet Marvin could answer some of your other questions. By the way, I've got the air-jet chaffer. It is a good investment also.

ripped

I run my first concave with cover plates and the other two are the large wire with slotted grates but find that trash in my sample can be a real problem in late afternoon when the straw gets dry. Green straw is very common here when doing early wheat. Any ideas on how to solve this problemIJ

colwood56

Just so I understand, this would mean that you use 3 cover plates, (front 1 1_2 of the concaves, large wire),for wheat and soys and if I was to do corn just remove all the cover platesIJ If this is true, it would make things a little easier. Thanks, Jim

steve_farmer

Jim, I don't do corn so I am not knowledgable about it. As to straw in the sample, should green straw break up very easilyIJ Is it getting threshed too hardIJ Seems like the air blast should float that out the back from the chaffer. I suppose if you close the bottom seive you'll get too much return and it will also cut the air to the chaffer, compounding the problem. like I said, I bought the airjet chaffer for this reason. I open the bottem wide open and run the fan at full rpm's until it blows grain out the back, then back off the rpm's. By the way, I have the old style fan on a 1480. Cost about $1500 with 2 sets of elements and I looked at it as a longterm investment that gets quickly absorbed when you divide it into acres and years.