Combines losing grain through fan

joe

I know dealer has a kit for front of chaffer and under the precleaner_chaffer on 9860 for grain going into the fan. had to get it through dtac i think. The kit had pans to close off a gap under the rear of the precleaner and some metal fingers to put the crop mat back a bit on the front of the chaffer. it looked like it might help, but the way the shoe has been improved, the old pre cleaner has been turned into a front chaffer extension, whatever goes through is still has to go through the seive to get into the clean grain auger. I liked the real pre cleaner on the 9600, adjustable, and it was really a seive-whatever went throgh went right into the clean grain auger.

Unit_11

You should watch the grain come out of the fan in 200+ corn witha 12 row. You get over 3.5 and it looks like the yellow brick road behind you. To slow the problem I tape off the fingers in front of the chaffer under the raised front chaffer, you also need to close the chaffer as much as you can to put the crop towards the rear of sieve. Its a compromise but its all I have come up with. What I have found is that the crop and chaff comes over the front of the sieve (especially down hill) and overloading the clean grain auger on the right side and ends up in the fan housing. Just my $.02. Good luck.

HRGD

This probably sounds too simple. I open the bottom sieve much wider than recommended. No leakage.

Greenman

I had the same problem on my 9860 and I put sheet metal over the plastic fingers after the pre-cleaner to move the grain further back. This will help the overloading of the chaffer in that area which will dam up and grain will run back into the fan. If you look straight down below the plastic fingers, you can see the fan. So I bolted a piece of sheet metal on the fingers to move the grain back further. This also happens on the 9600, 9610, and 60 series combines. This only happens in high yielding crops, like corn.

Greenman

I had the same problem on my 9860 and I put sheet metal over the plastic fingers after the pre-cleaner to move the grain further back. This will help the overloading of the chaffer in that area which will dam up and grain will run back into the fan. If you look straight down below the plastic fingers, you can see the fan. So I bolted a piece of sheet metal on the fingers to move the grain back further. This also happens on the 9600, 9610, and 60 series combines. This only happens in high yielding crops, like corn.

Rooster

Your cleaning shoe is too small if running in yields that cause such an occurance. Buy a combine with a larger cleaning system if productivity is what you are after. You should not have to settle for 3.5 or make modifications when operating a 9760 STS or 9860 STS with a 1230 corn head just to keep the corn out of the cleaning fan.

riceman

9750 did the same thing in not so great yeilding corn too. It doesn't have to be 250 bu. crop to make it overload. lots of duck tape and silicone globbed on the front of the precleaner and I got the leak shored up. JD sure does have quality enginering to make something that the farmer has to fix with duck tape as soon as you get it brand new!! Nice to know they care about the common farmer.

ausfarming

Thanks for the tip - will get the dealer onto finding out about the kit. Cheers.