Low-cost dessert ideas for fundraiser

Amanda

Amanda

Farm Hand
The school is hosting a chili supper to raise money for new gym equipment. I'm hoping you guys can share some low-cost ideas for dessert options. A few hundred people usually turn up to these things. I figured a few platters of cookies might be the best way to go. What do you think?

Nora

Nora

Farm Hand
Amanda, do you all have the option of asking local businesses to donate cakes and other treats? If not, I'd go to the store the day before the chili supper and look through their markdown section. Usually the cakes will be close to their "use by" date, so you want to time it just right. Cookies sound lovely too, though.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
You might try seeing if you can contact the vendor who supplies snacks to the stores/minute markets ... maybe a store manager would put you in touch with one. They have out-of-date products usually everyday ... some of them are pulled just a day or two before they go out of date since they won't get back to that store before the sell-by date.

If you explain why you need them ... they may donate them.

I know they have stuff like this all the time because I have family who vends to stores.