Meat shortages

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
There is a possibility of shortage resulting from the coronavirus pandemic due to meatpacker shutdowns. The food supply chain is breaking. Do you foresee a limited supply in the coming weeks?

jjp8182

Farm Hand
I think it's going to depend on the source, and where it was processed as not all states shut down meat processors so local fresh meats may not be an issue in all areas.

On the other hand in my local area retail-packaged flour has been more scarce on the shelves than paper towels the few several weeks.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Have gut feeling we all will feel the effects one way or another.

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
I think that's definitely a possibility. I tend to purchase meat in bulk, so we are all set for several weeks, but I know that not everyone can do that. If we have to, we can go without meat, but I do enjoy having it as part of our meals.

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Farm Hand
Have gut feeling we all will feel the effects one way or another.

That gut feeling is called hunger...….

Joking aside, I see issues in the near future. The way plants are set up, the workers are shoulder to shoulder. I used to work in a plant in my early 20's that cut rib-eye, Porterhouse and other steaks. The band saws were about 3 feet away from the manual cutting tables. You chop it up manually on the table, then give the meat to the saw operators.

There were about 5 different lines on that one floor with pretty much the same set-up.

If that type of configuration doesn't change to where workers aren't close enough to kiss each other, we're going to be in trouble in the long run.

You know how the government can mandate national emergency quarantines for the safety of the public? Mandate that meat processing plants enlarge their buildings to where social distancing is possible...…..for the well-being of the public.

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
I think that's definitely a possibility. I tend to purchase meat in bulk, so we are all set for several weeks, but I know that not everyone can do that. If we have to, we can go without meat, but I do enjoy having it as part of our meals.
I have never fancied buying in bulk, but if it gets to a point where there is short supply, then it will cease being a part of our meals. Is there a sector that hasn't experienced the effects of the coronavirus outbreak? How soon before we break the cycle?

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Local processing is a still available here.

As long as there is beef - there will be a supply. Cows aren’t getting Corona and the supply isn’t shrinking - just demand spiking temporarily.

Supply chain failure? A 15% increase in price will turn a lot of people vegan real quick I suspect and rebalance supply/demand.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
The whole economic side of this is going to be unstable for a few years in my opinion. Society shut down for a month or so. Pay close attention to how leaders and the common people attempt to build it back up.

Interesting times we're living in right now.

Riin

Riin

Farm Hand
Here we don’t seem to have shortage of meat. But I can understand the struggle. Every time when I go to the supermarket and see so many stuff haven’t been back in stock, I feel a bit sad.

Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
Our store didn't have a lot of chicken last week when I went, but they still had some. I do think meat might be more limited for the next several weeks, but I don't think that it will be really scarce like toilet paper was - at least, I hope it's not!