Combines MF 8780XP s w great terms

MW

We are currently on our fourth MF rotary. We have owned 2 8570's and 2 8780's. We now have a 1999 8780 and run a 30' platform and 6 row corn head. Our nearest real dealer is about 60 miles away and the dealer we trade machines with is 165 miles away. We have never had any major problems with any of these machines. We've probably only broken down and needed parts right away only a couple of times. Most of the time it seems like if something does break on these machines you can fix it yourself enough to keep going and have parts shipped in a day or two. There's really not that much to go wrong. The reverser you were asking about is hydraulic. It is mounted near the back of the feeder house on the left side and drives a chain that runs forward to the feeder house_header drive shaft. The feeder_header drive belt is on the right side. As far as capacity goes, we feel like the heads are the limiting factor. We only run a 6 row corn head in order to stay on even rows with our 12 row planter. You can push the machine as fast as the corn head can take it. On beans we usually run around 4 mph. A little slower in greener stem beans and faster in dry ones. One of the features we like best on our 8780's that we didn't have on our 8570's is lateral tilt. Even on fairly flat ground you would be surprised at how much better of a job it does at cutting and not dragging up.

JD

Thanks MW! I have a couple other questions if you have the time......what crops are you harvesting with these machinesIJ Do you pick much high moisture(28%+)corn and how does the 8780 handle itIJ Is there any price difference when buying a MF rotary versus another make if you have compared makes when buyingIJ Is the cab offset to one side of the machine like the old '00,'20 jd seriesIJ If so whyIJ What area do you farm in....you don't have to be specific, general idea will do. Thanks, JD

MW

We raise corn and soybeans only. We picked about 60 acres of high moisture corn last fall because it was starting to go flat in areas. It was running from 29-32%. The machine did grind it up a little but went through it just fine. We demoed a JD 9500 about 6 years ago before we got our first MF rotary and it seems like the Deere was about the same price. We put about 2600 hrs. on a MF 850 conventional before our first 8570 and it was a great machine so we hated to make the switch to green like about 90% of the farmers in our area. We are in central Il about 10 miles from one of the largest JD combine dealers in the country. I've been hearing lately that our neighbors who trade JD's each year are going to start paying several thousand more if they want to keep a new machine each year. I know of one guy who said it was going to cost around $60,000 to go from a 9610 to a 9650 sts, no joke. The cab on our 8780 is centered like everybody else. Our 8570 was still offset to the side like the 850 and old JD's. The cab on the 8780 is great. It has the best visibility, I think, of any combine out there. It also has seat mounted controls and a very nice multifunction hydro lever.

JD

I really appreciate you taking the time to "learn" me on this machine! It sounds like you are well satisfied with the MF line of combines. The last MF dealer around here closed up around '84. Next closest one is 100 miles or so but I haven't seen a "newer" MF combine since the early '80s come in our area. like I said before, I've only glanced at this machine at a few shows but did notice how "clean" the machine was which reminded me of the NH TR's and this is why we went to NH years ago. After talking to a couple of NH tech guys at a show 2 falls ago, and with the pictures that have floated around of the "new" NH rotored machine....I'm scared they have gone the route of JD with all the electric over hyd. gadgets, switches...etc...etc plus added many other un-needed parts. So I will be looking seriously at the MF rotary in a couple years if they don't do the same to it before so. C_Il large JD dealer.....must be Sloan, ehIJIJIJ I'm out on the east coast but I've been by their place before plus they have delievered some GSI tanks before. Thanks again man, JD

silver_blood

were running a 8780xp with our r72 gleaners next year was wondering how they will compare and if you can bale 30bu_acre wheat straw behind them thanks