Combines Milo loss on R62

johnboy

GR maybe those reverse bars should be given the flick.I found that in sorghum or milo as you say all they tend to do is tangle the crop up in the rotor.For our conditions taking out those concave wires can cause overloading of the shoe. We try and run the concave as close as praticall,i know it takes up the horsepower but it seems to get the grain in the bin.One of our gleaners runs a lowen concave and it works better in milo than the agco one. also what year is your machine because agco is forever playing around with the cageIJ john

mark

Speaking of cages, loewen now also puts out a P3 style cage for the P1 style combines. Was tested in Australia last year, without a cage sweep, and performed exceptionally.

johnboy

Gee, those cage sweeps give you a good reason to get out of the cab often. john

Dan

I have not ever been in a milo field but I have reports from Gleaner and other experts that seperator grate cover kit will reduce milo losses. From what I understand it was green milo that gave them losses. That would leed me to believe that the green stalks would not slide nicely across seperator grate and the straw would start rolling which would trap seeds. loewen was going to make up a seperator grate that is made of 1"x1 1_4" material that would be a complete replacement for the adjustable grates of the '97 or newer machines. They also have a proto out that can be bolted into the older cages after the solid seperator grate is cut out. Hyper was going to cut every other cross bar loose on the Gleaner seperator grate and slide the cut sections back to the next cross bar and tack weld to keep it in place. I don't know if they ever tried it. There was and maybe still is a seperator grate for P1's that is similar to what Hyper is putting in P1's. It had 6" between cross bars instead of what Hyper is using now with 3" spacing between cross bars and I guess it worked good in green milo. What I'm tring to say is cross bars and or to many cross bars can cause some crops, that are resistant to slide, to roll up and trap seeds. There is some chance that Hypers' half height cylinder bars could reduce rolling of green straw over the seperator grate but I just don't know. I hope that all isn't to confusing.