Missing chickens

Birdie

Golden Chicken
Well guys, my husband put up a camera like some of you suggested, but so far, we've not seen a thing. The chickens (or their remains) haven't been found and neither have any predators. It's awfully puzzling. Maybe they were practicing to become Houdini, because it's like they vanished into thin air.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Also have to lean towards pedator,you might consider game cam hidden from plan view.
No blood feather...1 owl 2 fox.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
It's a small red fox. I'm so angry. I feel like I've been robbed! I feel terrible for letting it happen too. I didn't even know we had wild creatures like that in the city. I'm going to do better about protecting my girls now that I know what I'm up against. I thought it had to be a human because there was no blood or feathers thrown about and my girls are tame. I appreciate all the replies this thread got! I wouldn't have thought about adding a camera or known about all the creatures that can prey on chickens without your input.

Last edited:

Trophyduck

Farm Hand
It's a small red fox. I'm so angry. I feel like I've been robbed! I feel terrible for letting it happen too. I didn't even know we had wild creatures like that in the city. I'm going to do better about protecting my girls now that I know what I'm up against. I thought it had to be a human because there was no blood or feathers thrown about and my girls are tame. I appreciate all the replies this thread got! I wouldn't have thought about adding a camera or known about all the creatures that can prey on chickens without your input.
Glad you found the culprit. Good luck

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Keep the camera on skunks racoons and if you have bobcat in the area they will also visit.

drjackthevet

We started losing a chicken or two each night last year and my son in law set up a night remote recording camera outside the coop. Sure enough, a raccoon was seen opening the cover on the nesting boxes. Unbelievably, we were able to catch that raccoon with a live trap the next night. We transported to a distant wildlife area (I know, not approved) and that solved that problem. However, we have a steady, low grade loss from owls, hawks, coyotes (If the llamas aren't in that pasture) and stray cats. Such are the dangers of free range chicken raising in our neck of the woods. (They go in to the coop at night and an automatic door closes after sunset.)