Most popular swine breeds.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
If I want to venture into pig farming, which breeds should I consider? Someone suggested Berkshires that are known for reproductive efficiency, fast growth, meat flavor, and cleanliness. Also, who has experience with the Duroc breed?

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
Duroc pigs rank high among the best breeds for farming. They are mostly famous for their rapid growth and their well-marbled meat that will most certainly have a place in the market. You can't go wrong with this breed that consistently produces quality meat.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
Durocs are supposed to be gentle and tame which makes them great for beginners. Berkshires grow fast plus they're excellent foragers which should cut down on feed costs if you put them out to pasture. You can't go wrong with either one.

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
I'm going to start raising pigs soon and I noticed that the Duroc is a very popular breed. Yorkshire and Berkshire seem to take top spots too. All three are known for producing succulent meat.

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
Most farmers think of adding pig breeds to their list of homestead goals at some point in their farming lives. A majority of pig breeds grow fast, making them an ideal protein to raise. You also have to get your fencing and their shelter right. Berkshires have an easy-going personality and are also a popular choice.