Combines N6 Overboost

Dan

Pete, I have a custumer that has two of these N6's with Ambac fuel pumps. One burns clean with nearly no smoke, low boost, and will walk away from the other one that has high boost, black smoke. Boost gauges switched from machine to machine, valve timing checked, valve clearance checked, fuel pump tweaked either way from 19 degrees, fuel pump on and off three times and rechecked each time, intercooler pulled and checked for pluging. Processors set up the same. This engine had a slightly noticeable fluttering noise at times inbetween mid and full throttle. He switched the pump from good machine to bad and problem was gone. He found that fulcrum lever in bad pump would start bouncing very rapidly which could not be controled with the friction device in the pump. Running the engine with top cover of pump off and setting a finger lightly on fulcrum lever would settle it down. There is a friction device that will steady the lever that was mainly used for the 8000 tractors with power shift to steady that lever. He got this device installed on his pump but has not tried it for he finished season with other pump. I don't think pump needs to be removed to install. My bet is that fluttering lever was causing the high boost, smoke, and fluttering. My pump shop told me to have you get ahold of Jack or Mark in service at 608-837-7358 for more info on device. Good luck. Dan