Combines N7 Out of Control

T__langan

What are the symptomsIJ Is it wandering all over the road or bouncingIJ

MacTech

I was just reading the N5_N6 operators manual (I'm home sick, nothing better to do :) and it says that running RWA cuts your speed in half, and that if you turn off the RWA for transportation, you should unbolt the hub plate on each rear wheel and reverse it to make sure the hydraulic motors don't spin with no lubrication. Don't know if this has much to do with your trouble.

Gleaner2DND

The trouble is with wandering from ditch to ditch. Only has one stearing cylinder. Don't know if this makes a differance or not.

eddie

Check toe-in or lack there-of. Usually does the trick. Having only one cylinder compounds the problem while trying to stay in the road.

Dan

I would bet the ball joint or joints on either end of steering cylinder are loose. Ball and socket may be wore or the nut is not holding tie rod tight to anchor. Check anchor that is welded to axle for any cracking and be sure anchor is not giving when wheel is turned. I have had to add gusset on some early machines to prevent anchor from giving under pressure. There is some chance that piston is loose on ram in the cylinder. Be sure there is no cracking in pivot area of axle assembly. It don't take much looseness of steering cylinder to make it a pig to get down the road. With every thing tight 20 plus MPH no problem. Good luck.

vstk

It is a pretty common problem on machines of this age to need the steering cylinder reconditioned. While most of the other things mentioned, tie rod ends and toe in are important i have found a lot of cylinders needed to be resealed. Yes having just the one cylinder seems to affect the steering and tends to put a lot more demand on the one cylinder. I would for sure at least get a seal kit installed by some one that is experienced and check the other things mentioned. vstk

fixer_up

I have an old N7 with the single cylinder and it had the same problem when I bought it. What we found was all the tie rod ends had come loose on the tappered end, tightening them up helped some but did not completely cure it. Upon further examination we found the pivot area of the rear axle was wore quite badly allowing the axle the axle to walk back and forth. We obtained the rear axle pivot from Agco and had a custom one(much wider than the original) built for the front, as well as had the tube built up cause it had grooves wore into it. The combine feels comfortable to drive at speeds up to 21mph now but does get a little hairy at speeds of 23.2mph. Hope this helps.