Combines Need harvesting tips combining wheat in double crop soybeans

The_Red

I forgot to mention that this is a 37 acre test plot and we will be harvesting with a JD 6620 Titan II with a 915 flex head.

dum

Yes, I tried it ten years ago. Wheat yeild was 91 where we left alone and 63 where we interseeded. Double crop beans yielded 13 where we interseede vs. 22 where we cut wheat on 7_5 and no tillled into stubble. We had no harvest problems as the beans just could not grow in the thick wheat and we used BlAZER TO ClEAN FIElD AFTER WHEAT HARVEST TO control weeeds and that set beans back. With RR beans that should work. let us know your results. Good luck

The_Red

Thank you for the information. On traditional double crop last year, we had 80 on the red soft wheat which is really good for Indiana. Double crop soybean yield was terrible at around 5 to 10. The summer was dry so the beans didn't have a chance. I am afraid the wheat is so developed already this year that this concept won't have much of a chance. We were given the wheat and only paid for the special beans. Regular season soybean yields were around 45-50 last year which was good considering how dry Indiana was. There were over 100 pods per plant but the beans were very small.

farny

Have you thought about putting duals on the combine, or even on that size combine, narrow tiresIJ If you are running 32" tires, you are going to run over a lot of beans, if you can switch to something that only runs over one row. Using a 16' head would be a little more convenient, that way you could follow the drill pattern. I don't think the 915 has a wide enough cutter bar to cover the drill does itIJ let me know how things work out!

The_Red

Farny I wish my 4400 was ready for the field because I think it would do less damage. The 6620 with the 15 foot table will probably mismatch just like you stated. I will report back after we run wheat in early July. Changing tires, table etc. is not an option in this case. Grandsons are trying to get Ernie to trade for a 20 foot table but he isn't about to. I have a feeling this experiment isn't going to work out very well.

The_Red

Farny that was the EXACT problem on the double cropping last year. The wheat was so heavy that Jeff and Grandpa Ernie left foot high wheat stalks. The beans suffered due to the sunlight problem and the lack of moisture.

The_Red

I wish I was 20 years younger. I would join a combine gang for one year just for the experience. WW I honestly don't know what Jeff put down on the wheat. We populated at 50% of normal which surprised me. I thought the population would be the same and you would seed more in the every other row. But there was a reason for not doing that which I don't quite understand at this point. It is to do with demand. If you populate normmally, the beans don't stand a chance to develop. We are in unchartered territory with this experiment.