Neighbor's geese chasing my goats

MartyR

Farm Hand
I live in a rural area so my neighbor is a good distance away. I rarely come across his animals, but lately some of his geese have been coming over and chasing my goats. Is there any way to head this off? I can't say that my dogs are any help.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I know geese can be aggressive. It's up to your neighbor to keep them off of your property. I would go over and tell your neighbor that his or her geese are on your property and it's a problem. If your neighbor doesn't do anything about it, I would call your local animal control officer. Usually a visit by the animal control officer convinces people to get their animals under control.

I had a situation where my neighbor let their dogs roam, and the dogs were coming over to my farm and killing my chickens. I went over to the neighbor's house and nicely told him that his dogs were killing my chcikens, and he said, "Well that's what dogs do." I asked him to keep his dogs off of my property and he refused. I called the animal control officer, who came right over, and showed him the dead chickens. He went over to my neighbor and told him that he had to pay me $50 for each chicken that was killed, and if it happened again, he would have to pay for the chickens and pay a $1000 fine. Suddenly, I never saw his dogs on my property again. The animal control officer is your friend.

Last edited:
More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
Usually a visit by the animal control officer convinced people to get their animals under control.
This is why they should be called "Human Control Officers". LOL Nothing shapes up an owner quicker than having someone threaten to take their animals away.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
True. I hated to call the animals control officer. I didn't want my neighbor's dogs to be taken away, but I couldn't let them keep killing my chickens. It wasn't the dogs' fault, it was their owners just letting them run wild. I was also afraid the dogs would eventually get hit by a car. Amazingly, my neighbor suddenly realized he just had to keep his gate closed.

MartyR

Farm Hand
When I told my neighbor about it, he said it would be okay if the dogs chased them back. But I trained my dogs not to bother anything unless they're told to. My wife and I both have day jobs, so there's not anyone here to say sic 'em. The problem might be solved though. When I pulled up for lunch, my rooster was going after the geese. Maybe that will teach them a lesson.