Combines New fine cut chopper

Ed_Boysun

I put one on my R72 last year. Used it for wheat straw and was very satisfied with the results. Kind of a chore to put it in, as quite a bit of stuff has to be changed. Even at that, I'd do it again. Ed in Montana

Silver_Shoes

Yeah we just got done installing ours, looks to be a very aggressive chopper. It definately takes a lil more work to install than the old one though. You have to pull the distribution augers and shorten them up, because you will use a much larger drive pulley and the augers need to be recessed for pulley clearence. Also the angle of feed into the chopper is slighly different and the placement of the chopper blade assembly. Its a couple days work to install, but I think this thing will really shread.

r5

We put the fine cut chopper in our R62 last year and were very pleased with the job it did in soybeans. We had a much easier job getting our ground ready this spring behind the fine cut chopper. We heard about how difficult it was to install, but we didn't find it that bad a job on our 1994 R62. We did not need to shorten any shafts. Is that because we have an earlier R62IJ Our concern now is combining oats next month. We don't want to shred the straw any more than necessary. We can put the old drive pulley on to slow down the chopper and pull the stationay knives back, but were wondering if there should be much additional damage to the straw as compared to the standard chopper.

Silver_Shoes

Hey R5+ I was just wondering how you didnt have to shorten your distribution augers for the new drive pulley to have clearance. Just wondering if you could take pictures of that. I am confused about why you didnt have to do that.

Irv

When we (I'm R5+'s brother) installed the chopper, our kit seemed to be way different than RamRod's. He showed how he had to shorten shafts, etc. However, when ours came, it's like AGCO used a different way to mount the drive. We have to change the bottom pulley, move an idler and change the chopper belt to change speeds. I think the other style operated the same as the old style, with two sheaves on the lower shaft. Ours is a bit of a pain to change from corn to soy, but installation was a fair amount easier. I never asked to see the parts man's books to see if they show two choices, or if they changed with time. We installed ours fall of '04. Irv

silver_tech

Have installed a few, the pulley you put on is smaller in diameter. The other has a slow speed and a fast speed. The kit that you installed with one speed is for a small grain machine, the double groove pulley is for corn soybean special. And you do have to cut distribution augers on corn soybean special, sorry no way around it

gleanermanitoba

We put kits into both of our R62's in October of 01 for the 02 season, were to have been here for 01, but an issue with the correct drive pulley delayed shipment. I beleive they were in the final prototype stages at this point. I found them easy to install, remove old chopper, stationary knives and the bottom plate they are attched to. Had to drill 3 holes and square one up for carriage bolt and weld 2 washers at the other two. Then remove drive pulley from distribution augers and one idler above it, new drive pulley bolted right where old one was, quite a bit larger and only one speed at this time they now have a two speed drive out. Had to cut out sheild and and some of the grill below it and put in a new sheild and grill reinforcment which comes with the kit. Next you install new bottom plate with the new stationary knives. Then put in chopper with new bearings and old driven pulley and put idler back and put on belt. Also need to cut about .75"deeper in holes to change chopper bolts. The chopper still has only 12 hammers but positions them differently 6 locations with a set of 2 hammers like NH, JD, and Cat.The rotor is a bit larger in diameter and the stationary knives are much longer and I believe there are ten of them. Have used it for 3 seasons now and it sure chops the straw. The hammers only seem to last one season as the bushigs have tended to wear The first year went through 2 sets per machine as there was no bushing on the hammers. To go to low speed I had to change drive pulley so never did. Traded one of them for a 72 with two speed drive pulley so may change it this year. I never had to shorten distribution augurs or anything serious first one took about 5 hours and second one about 3. Just make sure the chopper is centered with stationary knives as there isnt much room for movement.

shorthair

Those bushings have been changed, there was a campaign on them. Check with your dealer, bulletinn0014, attachments, program FC6854. The hammers were replaced, also.

magnum_silver

Yes, this chopper kicks. The reason some have to shorten the dist. augers is because they are installing a two-speed kit, which takes a lot longer. You can get the single kit and it is quite easy to install. This is a must for ones that want to direct seed and have long straw conditions.