Combines Pixall rolls

southerninjdman

Had a set on a 71 model 643. They are awesome, would not trade them for anything. Have a set of knife rolls on new 893, not sure how they are going to wear.

greenstrat

I have used up a set. They are absolutley not worth any extra over a new set of cast iron rolls. They do not chop anything, just crimp the stalks a bit. They will wear the chrome plating off the edge pretty fast and when that happens they get dull as a post and-voila!-you now have a set of rolls that work just like the flutes on a massey. If you need some real chopping action, get the knives from deere. For what it's worth, the deere rolls are the most for the least, and last for many years. GS

superfarmer

I think greenstrat must have had a bad set, because I just bought a Pixall head with rolls that have thousands of acres on them and they work excellent. If you take care and hard surface them as soon as chrome breaks off them they will last for years. I know a guy who finally retired a set off an 8 row head with over 20,000 acres on them, and they could have been used longer. How much they actually chop the stalks will depend on the variety and the moisture, if you want to chop use a gerringhoff. What kind of tillage do you want to do after cornIJ For no-tilling the Pixall can't be beat, in my opinion.

l

Go with the Deere knife rolls. They less expensive than the pixalls. The knives can easily be replaced on the Deere roll if damaged. You need to buy a SET of pixalls if you damage a roll. The Deere knife roll can be removed much easier than the pixalls if the gear case needs repair. The pixalls have no holes for a puller to be attached. The pixalls last very well...long life roll as are the Deere knife rolls. But in my opinion, they aren't worth the extra $$$ and possible headaches down the road.

greenstrat

So if you weld hard surfacing material on the edge, it now becomes the same as the rounded deere (hard surfaced too) roll. 20000 acres on a 843 is not uncommon for oem rolls. If you want a hard edge that is affordable, there is a guy who sells deere rolls that are built up with hard surface weld and ground sharp. Downside to these is sometimes they will warp and not stay tight on the shaft. I have forgotten the terrible price for the pixalls, something like 200 bucks apiece, and I would never advise anyone to get them. GS

Delray

I am not familiar with Clark rolls. What are they and where are they availableIJ thnx

John_W

Here is a link to Clarke Machine in Howard SD. They mike CIH type knife roll conversions for JD heads.

greenstrat

I have owned deere rolls, pixall rolls on a deere, now I have a set of clarke machine knife rolls and these things work like they should. If you want to know what they look like up close, look at a new case IH corn head. Same kives. Replaceable now too. gs