Pole barn, brick or what?

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
We are looking to build a new garage/shop. I like the idea of laying several layers of brick/block and then building up. My wife wants to build a pole barn style. Thoughts on this?

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Farm Hand
My garage/shop is all cinder block. It's how I inherited it. It wouldn't take a lot to build an interior wall for the purpose of insulating it.

Go with block.

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
We built a block shop too. It's halfway up and then we used boards to frame the rest. We put on a tin roof! It's great!

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
I'm pretty sure we are going to go with block. The pole barn looked cheaper and easier to put up. The block garage looks more steady and I think it would last longer. Thanks for the advice.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Seen number half block walls in our area than lumber rest of the way up, storing sawdust gravel etc. off to one side nice shop on other side no wood rot to worry about in years to come.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Pro/con to both.

Block, obviously sturdier - brick is more attractive to most, keeps out rodents who might otherwise burrow under a pole building metal.

Traditional pole - cheaper, easier and quicker build - easier to remove/add on to if the need arises (adaptable)

Around here - pole buildings are for storage/livestock - block is used only for smaller (relative to pole buildings) shops and building that will be frequently occupied by humans.

Alot depends where you live too...obviously living in tornado alley for example, block holds a substantial advantage to pole buildings. The higher the wind frequency where you live - the more need for block. Living around steep hills - never had concerns with frequent straight line winds.