Problems With Deer

ChickensAndCows

ChickensAndCows

Farm Hand
There's a herd of deer who think that my garden and my apple trees are their personal salad bar. I want to discourage them from eating my plants, but I also want to do it humanely. I don't want to shoot them! I'm also concerned about the deer dropping ticks in my yard. Any ideas would be so helpful!

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
You could always shoot near them. The sound will run them off. Most people either put up a fence, which can be costly and time-consuming, or they stick with plants that are deer resistant, or they add some sacrificial plants in the hopes that the deer will stay away from the other plants.

FaithBean

FaithBean

Farm Hand
You could always try a hot pepper spray. However, I think that the best deterrent is going to be a physical barrier of some kind. Deer are very determined, so any deterrent isn't going to work for very long.

ChickensAndCows

ChickensAndCows

Farm Hand
You could always try a hot pepper spray. However, I think that the best deterrent is going to be a physical barrier of some kind. Deer are very determined, so any deterrent isn't going to work for very long.
It hadn't occurred to me that a hot pepper spray would be a deterrent! I really like the idea. My family is going to install a fence, but in the meantime, I'm going to try the hot pepper spray!

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
I've had the same problem with horses. There is a guy in our neighbourhood with zero respect for us with some horses badly fed.His horses wanted to be fed and without anything to eat came to our land in order to eat something. We tried to make him understand the problem but he didn't do anything. After a little my grampa, my dad and I fenced our plot and the problem was resolved. This fence is good both for horses and for wild boars (the most important one in my opinion).
Anyways, fences are expensive, and if your problem is deers I don't think you should build a fence, the solution of hot pepper spray is good the same and less expensive.

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
Talking about shooting them, this isn't a good solution in my opinion...