Protecting the land

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
I went to a town meeting last night and someone asked a great question. They asked what farmers are doing to protect the environment? I asked what are others doing? So, what are you doing to protect the farmland?

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I think farmers do more than the average citizen to protect the land. Has there been a study on that or anything? I would've been put off by that person's question, @BIGRED. I do many things to protect the environment. I recycle, I repurpose, and I compost. I raise heritage breeds for my livestock that are known for thriving around here, which means less electricity and other resources go into keeping them alive.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
Yeah I agree with OhSusanna on this. I hope you spoke up and defended farmers. I think sometimes people think we are ruining the land by planting crops. I also think that people think we clear land of trees and that doesn't protect the environment. We do so many good things though.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
We recycle and compost, but most importantly we are totally organic.

Gordyg

Gordyg

Farm Hand
I can see both sides to this situation. I have seen a few farmers rip up the land and make a mess of it. A couple have then pulled out and left a mess (I'm dealing with that at a new field we purchased). I do think that most farmers are conscience of the environment though.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I think large operations, like factory farms, aren't doing their part to protect the environment at all. I only have faith in the homesteaders and farmers who run a small to medium-sized operation. As for me, I don't use pesticides or herbicides. I actually run an organic operation. I also help the bee population by growing native flowers.