Quails with what animal?

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I believe I'm going to take in my neighbors flock of quails since they don't want them anymore. I haven't really had time to consider where I'd house them or anything. Can they go with the chickens or do they a separate space since they're so small? How do you protect them from predators? I'd like to see if my roster will protect them like he does his hens. I've raised ducks, geese, and chickens, but quails are new to me.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
Quails really do best alone. They are tiny birds they aren't very hardy. I wouldn't even feel comfortable putting quails with bantam chickens, but maybe that's just me.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
Well, I guess I'll have to look into some plans for making them their own space and shelter. I hate not to take them off my neighbor. They've been kind enough to take animals off me who wouldn't fit in with the herd here, but did marvelously over at the neighbor's farm. Time to build a quail coop. My neighbor's have them in a rabbit hutch which doesn't seem like enough space to me.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
Susannah, you probably already know this, but you can't turn those quails out to pasture if they've lived in a cage their whole lives. They'll be easy prey and even if they aren't picked off by a predator, they'll likely get sick. They'll stay healthier if they're kept off the ground. I know you're no greenhorn, but raising quails isn't that common, so I thought I'd share in case it helps.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I sure appreciate the help, @Birdie! They sure are tiny things. I'm hoping to give them a lot more space, even if they have to stay penned in. My husband and I have time to build them something before they arrive from next door.