Combines question

Gman

I forgot to change belt to slow speed for feeder chain drive,Deduct 5 minutes from coffee break.

combinekid

is that all that is required in setting up a gleaner from the factoryIJ WOW

Gman

I thought you meant from crop to crop.We usually spend about a week fine tuning and checking.Depends on how it equipped but not much to assemble.

combinekid

no we somtimes change crops several times a day. somtimes going from corn to beans then back to corn usually takes longer to move trucks and wagon than to change combine never shutting it OFF

John

I have seen my Gleaner Dealer deliver a combine in 12 working hrs from the time it was unloaded from the semi to the field. And about 2 to 2 1_2hrs to switch from crop to crop once the combine has been delivered. All of which can be done on the same farm in the same field with about 5 wrenches, if you brought the other head behind_with you. I have worked with the neighbors on JD, CaseIH, TR,and Massey_White and the Gleaner is the fastest change from crop to crop, and the neighbors who have the Gleaners will really go over the machine before harvest, more so than the others, maybe more picky, only Massey has less moving parts to worry about. I have alot of respect for the TR's and Axials as well for their simplicity.

tbran

Picture this, the year was 1923, the Baldwin Bros. decided that the down front cyl was the way to go. The crop was cut, augered to the middle, then via feeder beater combed and fed at a constant fixed angle to a cylinder that raised and lowered with the header. By having the cyl down front it gave much more room to separate and clean the grain than competition. A trademark of Gleaners has always been a compact machine built on a solid welded frame, not bolted sheetmetal; the result is a machine which is stronger, ligher, more manuverable and compact than most competitors. The disadvantage is uninformed potential customers perceived that the Gleaner is smaller in capacity because it doesn't have the massive sheetmetal_plastic exterior some have. It is kind of like the saying I really believe is true - size doesn't matter - its how you glide the galvanized that counts....... As to the Deere question, they simply put a stationary threshing machine on wheels. They havn't 'tried ' a lot of anything until the STS's have come out. Now they are trying to fix and sell them with more success in the latter than the former.

T__langan

Deere did try the "down front cylinder" concept once. I found their patent while searching the govt. database. It was almost identical to the Gleaner design with a feeder beater and thresher beater, but instead of a raddle, they had straw walkers that extended all the way into the feederhouse behind the cylinder to catch the straw and grain. I guess they thought that just keeping a motor, tranny, and wheels on a threshing machine was easier than working out the bugs on something different! ;)

tbran

What did they patent, if you remember, was it the process or locationIJ I remember something about this that was quirky but a really good move on their part. I'll ask Walt at the next conversation. Seems there are some good stories about this.

T__langan

I don't remember right off hand. I'll try to find it again when I get some spare time. Be sure to enlighten us on anything more you can find out too....

SilverTurnedGreen

Are you forgetting the CTS systemIJ Deere fumbled thier way through developing that machine as well, and I think they finally have it right. They don't particularly "promote" this machine much; - it seems that it's cost of production and lower profitability is the reason. My C62 is going to ready for trade next year. Will Gleaners new machines be on the market by thenIJ