Combines R Series rotor

Cutter

The 480R and 485R lexion combines continue to utilize the original rotary system (spiral flighted rotors with twin concentric rotor cages with changable rotor grates for small grains and corn_soybean machines) from the 480 and 485 combines. The 460R, 470R and 475R feature the new rotary system with paddle configured twin rotors and twin eccentric rotor cages. All lexion combines under went a cab interior style change, nomenclature change to conform with industry class size and engine upgrades with increased horsepower with power bulge. Depending on what your previous machine was, I don;t think that you would be too disappointed with the performance of a 480 vs. 480R.

dakota

Where did you get that from, that the 480R still has the old style rotorIJ I was told by lexion people that the R-series all have the same new oval rotor with the new grades and the paddles on. How about the wire concaveIJ I was told they all have a wire concave now.

dakota

From our experience and from talking to a lot of other people throughout the States, Canada and Australia, the wire concave is the way to go. It gives cleaner samples and higher capacity. I know the 470R has the wire concave in but I don't know about the 480R. The older spiral rotor design can screw kernels out of the back and the sensors won't catch it. This is especially true in corn, as we experienced it. The new paddle design with the oval cage and different grate openings should help. If you look at the other colors you will find that they all have wire concaves. The new rotor grates on the 470R look very similar to the Deere and CASE rotor grates. They don't need to be changed from wheat to corn either. The R-series also features a new rotary screen with hydraulic drive. The older mechanical drive has been giving trouble. The cab is redesigned with a more versatile steering column, new hydro lever, a wider seat moved to the right a little. The slip clutch for the feederhouse has been redesigned for better performance. The horsepower has been increased. There are probably a number of other improvements, that I don't know yet.

Cutter

I just returned from a week long combine training at the lexion plant in Omaha. The plant has all of the main systems of the lexion combine (all models) assembled as independent display modules for training and demonstration. We spent alot of time comparing the 460R, 470R and 475R vs. the 480R and 485R rotary system. The plant also has an impressive training staff that is very knowledgable in all aspects of the lexion and competitive combines.

OnTracks

I've seen the wire grates on a 470R and I've seen pictures of the corn grates in a 480, are the small grain grates just smaller holes or do they look anything like the new wire designIJ Will the small grain grates work in soybeans, or are the corn grates bestIJ Is the difference in separation area between a 470R (4607 sq in) and a 480R (9641 sq in) due to the top cage being solid verses gratedIJ What can be expected for capacity advantageIJ We had a demo on a 470R this summer in wheat. We could run about 11 ac_hr with rotor losses being the limiting factor. Our 9750 also ran 11 ac_hr but was limited by hp and straw chopper plugging. What would you expect to see from a 480R for capacity and what is its limiting factorIJ

Cutter

The 480R_485R rotor grates are pressed plate grates with oval slots (slot openings perpendicular to the rotors = corn small grates; slot openings inline_axial with the rotors = small grain grates) vs. the wire grates of the 460R, 470R, 475R. The 480R_485R has 44% more threshing and separation area, 18% more cleaning area and 15% more horsepower than the 470R_475R. The capacity difference between the models is the difference in the dgree of rotor grate wrap (460R, 470R_475R = 125 degrees of wrap; 480R_485R = 180 degrees of wrap). I would think the 480R should easily be capable of 15+ acres_hour, probably pushing the low 20's with a 36'+ draper head.

dakota

I hope we get to see some of that staff this summer. What was your reason for the trainingIJ Are you working at a dealershipIJ

dakota

How did you find out about the rotor loss on the 470RIJ Did it show on the screen in the cabIJ We ran 470s last year and are supposed to get the R's this year. I would very much appreciate an email from you.