Combines R40 Help Please

lbran

If you haven't set the header down on some 4x4 or 6x6 chunks try that. I assume you have everything unplugged as you mentioned it would come out at the bottom. There isn't any reason why it should stay on there if you put blocks under it.

Paul

Done that. No luck. I don't have a corn head for it yet, so I can't quite visualize the top of the housing, but I assume its just based on some sort of a "gravity wedge type clamp, and not bolted or clamped in place on the topIJ I have been kicking dirt and scratching my head on this for a couple of days, and while my boots aren't worn through yet, I don't have enough hair left that I want to lose any more. Do you think the 34" tires could make that much of a differenceIJ If I don't find another solution, I guess I could let the air out of the tires to see if that lowers the combine enough so bring "bottom dead center" of the housing below the lip on the headerIJ

Dan

Paul, With the tire setup you have you must need to block the header up. I tell you what works the best is to block the front of header at least four inches higher than back. With the front blocked higher it will tilt away from the bottom first and than feeder will continue to lower so you can back away. Good luck. Dan

tbran

Paul your R40 came out with 26" tires and rear to level it out. Switching to 34" (23.1X34) is the tallest loaded radius available. The throat of any R series will drag the ground when let down all the way.. You said your rams are completely collapsed so your combine must be much lower in the back than front. The only solution is blocking the header on a header trailer or putting your drive tires in a ditch to get the header off. If your combine does tilt to the rear it would be a good idea to level it out by ft tire switch or better with a rear axel_tire combo that sets the rear up. Again any R I have seen has no problem with header not lowering; actually its too low as my guys always drag the paint off the bottom and scratch it up...

Plain_Joe

Your latches may not be fully unlatched. This happened to us one time and that head will not come loose unless those lower latches are completely unlatched. When properly unlatched we are able to lay the head completely on the ground.