Combines R50 rasp bar extensions

tbran

just got back from meeting with a bunch of combine guys and you got some mixed feeings here but...... seems like the guys who have tried 4 extended bar kits with every other paddle replaced with bars out to the end thus removeing every other paddle have had the most vocal assuance that this is the way to go. Feeling is there is still a blockage caused by paddles that doesn't help separation.I don't know yet but will have better input after run a few in wheat... will keep you posted.. I'm sure some of the others know more for sure than I do at the moment... this is just reporting at this stage. Finally you should replace or cut your worn paddle and extend the bars into the discharge area in any case. Either by making your own kit or buying it. Its a factory option now on the big un's.

Dan

Ed, I would never have less than four discharge paddles. I have a couple machines setup for next year with every other bar extended to end of rotor. I think that is how the Hyper boys do it but they are in corn and soybeans. It does make sense to me to extend every other bar to the end and I doubt that it will ever force the straw against the bearing plate before it gets kicked out. We will be testing it in all our different straws this fall. We have been having great results by just extending every bar up to discharge but why not see if we can do better yet. You see that first area of discharge bar is wore so bad because it has been tring to push the straw out into the discharge when the straw isn't up to discharge yet. Be doublely dog gone sure if you make your own that you have things held in there good. One nice thing about the loewen combo bars is they stiffen that area between the last two cylinder spiders. Good luck. Dan

T__langan

I agree with Ed. We have also noticed that oat varieties tend to make the biggest difference on straw length, rather than maturity or moisture conditions. I've been told I was crazy thinking that! Glad to hear someone else has same experience! This is on a stock R50 - no mods YET. Tom langan