Combines R60 Cage Problems

gaffer

The most significant upgrade to the processor that will reduce cage wear is stacking the helical bars. If you can reduce the time material spends in the cage, the reduction in wear will correspond. There is typical wear patterns that depend somewhat on the crops and conditions.

Brian

We have an '87 R60 with 2,500 hours on it and our cage is original. Some cage wear is now apparent. We are currently in the process of modifying the cylinder and the cage as suggested by Hyper Harvest II on this web site. He is confident that with the modifications will drastically reduce cage wear, amoung many other things. Your cage should not be wearing out this fast though even when run stock. I strongly suggest that you consider modifying your combine like Hyper Harvest II suggests. I can't speak from personal experience yet but, I've talked to many farmers who have done the mods. and they are all true believers. Good luck

Dan

Vern, Good suggestions allready here but I would like to add a couple things to check. If you have a chopper make sure it is on high speed other than for your corn. Also for chopper be sure that leading edge of blades are square to give it suction. If you have a beater be sure that leading edge of paddle plates is square and not rounded. The blades are reversable to get sharpe edge leading. The blades are also flipable to have either knotched side out or flat side out. We had a R62 that was taking a bunch of power because the discharge beater was not taking the straw away from rotor. The flat side of paddles were out so we flipped them and the machine then took right off like it should. I would suggest to get her upgraded and then ENJOY. Dan