Raising bunnies

FaithBean

FaithBean

Farm Hand
I know that rabbits are VERY high stress animals, and so when you are raising them, you have to control their stress levels to keep them in optimal health. A rabbit can die from too much stress!
I had no idea that a rabbit could die from stress! Is this just something that can happen to captive rabbits, or can it happen to wild rabbits too?

ChickensAndCows

ChickensAndCows

Farm Hand
I had no idea that a rabbit could die from stress! Is this just something that can happen to captive rabbits, or can it happen to wild rabbits too?
From what I understand, it happens to wild rabbits as well. It's a response that they have when they are really stressed out or captured by a predator. Their heart just stops. That's why careful handling of rabbits is so important!

GoatGal

GoatGal

Farm Hand
From what I understand, it happens to wild rabbits as well. It's a response that they have when they are really stressed out or captured by a predator. Their heart just stops. That's why careful handling of rabbits is so important!
This is such an interesting piece of information! Thanks for sharing it. I'd always wondered why my sister asked us to be quiet around her rabbits, but now I know! Do you know if pet rabbits handle stress better than wild rabbits?