Rooster going nuts

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
My rooster keeps pitching an unholy fit. He takes his job seriously when it comes to protecting the flock, but I can't figure out what the fuss is about to save my life. The hens run and hide when he kicks up a fuss, but they don't seem particularly worried. Could he be getting dementia or something? He's a little long in the beak, but I'd hate to send him to the stew pot. I'd also hate to be a rooster who was unsettled. That doesn't sound like a good life either. He only fusses during the day and only in the run. When they're out and about, he goes about his duties normally. How old is too old for a rooster?

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I bet something is bothering it. Usually dementia shows up more at night in animals for some reason. Of course, I'm no expert. I'm just going by what my vet has said. Can you put a camera out there?

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
What exactly is he doing?
Protecting his flock from a Rusty Crayfish. I happened to catch it today. No wonder he was fussing. He probably would've already had it dispatched had I not kept going out there when he'd fuss. I thought crayfish went dormant, but apparently not. I didn't see any holes in the yard, but I must've missed it. I'll have to give it another look. My apologies to Old Man Fred.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
You should be ashamed, @Henderson. I'm laughing like a hyena over poor Fred. You were just getting in his way. He might be too old for the stew pot anyway.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
He's about six or so, but he's still a fierce protector of the flock. He's always been a bit of an oddball in that he's pretty monogamous. We had to get his wife an apron to protect her back. Fred protects the whole flock, but he only spends time with his special lady. They groom each other. He dances for her. He doesn't like it when she's hanging with the hens and not paying attention to him. Now they're like an old couple. He's not as driven to mate either which I'm sure she appreciates. My wife and I aren't interested in raising chicks anymore, so it works out. You can eat any chicken of any age. You just have to cook it accordingly. I couldn't make a kill and waste it.