Combines rotor loss

tbran

you can use the F concave bars to extend the cyl bars into the cut paddle area with no reduction in capacity if you have a spare on of these . Click on tips and then upgrades and look at the picture of a homemade no cost option. If you have an early R50 it is a little more difficult but do-able. It really flows the crop out and lessens the mat of material going roundy round so that more grain can escape.

tbran

Gee, usually in big P3's rotor loss in low moisture corn is not a problem, it the super high moisture that presents problems, however the best method is to pull every other wire from the separator grate. Make sure there are no filler strips in the concave. Set cyl. speed on about 300 and clearance at dia. of ave. size cob. Drop the front of the grate to one or two marks toward max. Then measure the loss with the spreader removed, at normal harvest speed, per op man. For a full hyperharvest machine click on tips then upgrades then P3 for the whole 9 yards treatment. Post any questions you might have.

PETE

I used two F2 rasp concave bars (n71142277) laid end to end fastened to the bottom of the seperator cage. I have had really good results with this setup. The veins in the rasp bars seem to disrupt the flow just enough to allow the grain to sift out. I have tried using two F2 channel bars but it used too much HP,broke up the cobs and really did not help rotor loss. Please note that this is on a P1 processor (N6) that has been upgraded with everything but the seperator grate (see Curt's link on P1 processor information). I am not sure you should try this with a stock rotor with reverse bars as they are already putting allot of pressure on the bottom of the cage especially where the concave and seperator cage meet. Good luck, Pete Hinrichsen

Tom_Russell

Pete, do you lay the concave bars on top of the helical barsIJ Are your helicals standard bars or have you changed to channelsIJ Does that setup allow you to run the cylinder at a slower speedIJ Will you guys have a big crop this yearIJ Ours looks slightly poorer than average at this point but it could change in the next 6 weeks. Tom in MN

PETE

Tom, The bottom row of flat helicals have been removed from the belly of the seperator cage per AC service bulletin IND-366 of my N6. I bolted the F2 rasp concave bars to the cage. I haven't been able to run at any slower rotor speed but my rotor loss has been reduced without breaking up the cobs. I tried the channel concaves first but they broke up the cobs and I did not see any significant reduction in rotor loss. The rasp bars seem to disrupt the flow of material just enough to allow the trapped grain to fall through the cage holes. Crops here in eastern Ia. look pretty good but the lighter ground is starting to show the stress of the hot temps and little or no rain. We are probably are looking at an average crop if we get some significant rain in the next week or so and the temps moderate. This just an observation from the seat of my pickup, I have heard of poor pollination in some other areas but around here I haven't heard of any problems. Pete Hinrichsen

Tom_Russell

Thanks, Pete. For anyone who may be a bit confused, I think you intended to say channel helicals instead of channel concaves in the third sentence, second paragraph. I know you explained this earlier but I am now getting back into combine season. Tom in MN

PETE

Tom, No, I meant to say channel concave bars. The corn and soybean F2's had channel concave bars in the rock door and behind. That kind of bar is what I tried first in the belly of my N6 to reduce rotor loss which did not work as well as the rasp concave bars. Pete

Farm_Kid2

First step would be to slow all your vanes down completely. On a 1480 you may find that some of the vanes are not adjustable, but I can't remember if it is the ones over the concaves or the grates.

lee

First step i would suggest is to tighten concaves up, We have 1680, I cut most all our beans on concave indicator setting 1 to 1.5, - I usually find , operators manual is close on speed setting but way off on clearences, Just my 2 cents worth!

steve_farmer

Say lee, have you noticed that if you have the concave setting open too much, it can result in rotor lossIJ Do you have any theory as to how reducing the clearance results in less lossIJ Does it force the seed down through the wires betterIJ I'm willing to give it a try. Never got around to retarding the vanes today. Should one retard the vanes in the threshing section as well as the separating areaIJ Feel free to jump in everybody!:)