Seeds sprouting in compost pile

Thyme Flies By

Thyme Flies By

Farm Hand
I compost everything from avocado pits to weeds and lately I've noticed that the seeds are sprouting. Is that a sign that my compost isn't getting hot enough or cooking long enough? I check the temperature and it seems okay, but my thermometer isn't very long, so it's impossible to check in the center. Are the sprouts a warning flag?

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
Most of the materials you used could have had weed seeds. Killing weeds during the composting process can be tasking. Here, the pile temperature should reach 140 °F for at least two weeks. Still, some of the more resistant species may remain.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
Interesting! I've never had sprouts pop up from our compost pile. I would try to make it hotter and see if that helps. I really don't know how else to stop this.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
The weed seeds could've blown in there recently. The sprouts aren't necessarily from the things you're composting like your avocado pit. Well, not unless you can identify them. If you're worried about the temperature, then get one of those long thermometers from your local feed store or plant nursery. Many big-box stores carry compost thermometers too.