Selling flowers

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
My wife has beautiful flower beds full of flowers. She wants to start selling fresh cut bouquets by the roadside. Anyone do this? Any tips for her?

Kyle M

Kyle M

Farm Hand
Maker sure there is shade when she sets up her stand. And look into the local ordinances to see if she needs a permit to do this.

Rosebud

Rosebud

Farm Hand
Kyle M has good advice. If she does sell by roadside, she should pick a fairly populated street but not one that has non-stop traffic. She could also try selling at your local farmer's market or flea market.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
Farmer's markets sound like a great idea. I just built her a stand. I thought she wants to start small, so she is going to set up at a family members in town.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
What a great idea! Do you have enough flowers there to be able to keep selling every day? You will want to be sure that she has flowers daily.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
That's my primary business and I'm happy to help her. My number one tip is to grow a mix of three things when she first starts out. First, grow whatever is most likely to thrive with little care in her area. Second, grow something that no one else grows within a 15-minute radius. And third, grow something that's likely to bring in the most revenue per flower. Start growing those three types of flowers and she'll be off to a great start. She'll need to reassess every season because what's popular in the fall won't be what's popular in the spring.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
I just saw this @Petal to the Metal. Thank you for the advice! I think she started off pretty good. There aren't other people within 15 miles of us that sell cut flowers. She has had a lot of success.