Skin irritation

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
Have you ever gotten itchy rashes from touching some plants? Some contain irritating chemical compounds, while others can irritate when exposed to the sun (for plants in the carrot family like Queen Anne's Lace). Hops usually cause a mild reaction to my skin.

Riin

Riin

Farm Hand
Is it a kind of allergies or? I haven’t personally experienced such irritation but some of my friends have certain types of allergies to some flowers.

Paul

Paul

Farm Hand
I'm allergic to the urushiol found in the stems, leaves, and roots of poison oak, poison sumac, and poison ivy. My wife isn't allergic to the plants, so she does a lot of the weeding outside. The rashes I get from contact with the plant are so incredibly itchy!

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
I watch out for poison Ivy.
I am so wary of poison ivy that I can almost sense its presence in a place. How easy is it to make the distinction between poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac? It is advisable to wear protective clothing (like vinyl gloves) or to tuck long pants into socks, among other things. Some over-the-counter creams or lotions can be of help when applied to exposed skin before going outdoors.

Andrew T

Andrew T

Farm Hand
I came into contact with stinging nettle once on a hike, and that wasn't a pleasant experience. I was itchy for hours following the initial sting. I even got a few hives from it. It all cleared up the next day, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for that plant the next time I go hiking.

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
Those poison ivy and oak yeah. My skin feels especially sensitive to these plants. Gloves are very important for dealing with these plants. But I just mostly try to stay away as much as possible.

Logan

Logan

Farm Hand
I have a pretty bad reaction to poison ivy. I got it a few times when I was a kid, and my reaction was so bad that I had to go on steroids for a week at a time each time. I do not know if my kids are allergic to it yet. I hope they are lucky enough to not be.